30 minutes plus proving, cooling and setting
500g pack white bread mix
Plain flour for dusting
100g pack Dr. Oetker Extra Dark Chocolate Chunks
100g (3 ½ oz) dried apricots, chopped
100g (3 ½ oz) Dr. Oetker Natural Marzipan, chopped
1 sachet Dr. Oetker Egg White Powder
50g (2oz) icing sugar
A few drops Dr. Oetker Moroccan Almond Extract 15ml (1 tbsp) toasted flaked almonds
1. Make up the bread mix with water according to the pack instructions and knead and rest as directed.
2. Put the dough back in a mixing bowl, press down the top with your knuckles to make a pit and add the Chocolate Chunks, apricots, and Marzipan. Use your hands to squeeze and twist the ingredients into the dough until they are evenly distributed – this will take about 5 minutes.
3. Turn on to a lightly floured surface, knead gently for 1 minute then shape the dough into an approx. 50cm (20inch) long sausage. Twist like a rope and shape into an approx. 20cm (8inch) wide ring by bringing the two ends of the dough together and pinching them to seal.
4. Line a baking tray with baking paper and carefully transfer the dough ring on to the tray. Cover with a piece of cling film brushed lightly with vegetable oil and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size – between 45 minutes and 1 hour.
5. Ten minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C Fan oven, 400°F, gas 6). Make up the Egg White Powder according to the pack instructions. Discard the cling film from the dough, and brush the dough with egg white. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C
(160°C Fan oven, °F, gas 4) and bake for a further 15 minutes until richly golden and hollow-sounding when tapped underneath. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. To decorate, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add a few drops of Almond Extract and 5-10ml (1- 2 tsp) warm water to make a smooth, drizzling icing. Spoon over the top of the bread and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Leave for a few minutes to set before serving. Happy Easter!
This bread is best served and eaten within 2 days of baking.