Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

John Scottus National School

Phone: 01 6609309

Delight in the present is

view general school discussions

** Delight-in-the-present-is-ts-1901301107
Delight in the present is right! Great school!          
30/01 11:07 - Feedback-on-this-school (share to everyone)
-------------------
Given the number of posts on here that are quite old, I figured I´d start a new thread and leave something current!

My two daughters attend the school (Jnr infants and 3rd class) and couldn’t be happier. The classes are small, the teachers are excellent and they provide hot cooked meals on site. They teach philosophy, instead of religion, however if holy communion is something for you, preparation is done outside school hours. They practice pause (meditation) between each class and the school provides an onsite after school programme which offers various activities, ballet, drama, karate, French, Italian, piano, guitar and more. It is a life saver for working parents and the supervisors and teachers are really wonderful. The school asks for a voluntary contribution, which is comparable to private school fees, however we have found that what you are asked for throughout the year is next to nothing, perhaps school trip money or bus fare for an outing. They also have a second hand uniform store which is opened regularly and saves a fortune. 

30/01 12:47 -
-------------------
I agree - my sons are very happy in John Scottus and run into school every morning.  The standard of teaching is excellent and all the teachers I have dealt with go far beyond their remits to support each child’s personal development. The hot lunch is a huge bonus, as is not having to buy any school books or stationery, as the school provides all of that.  

31/01 14:39 -
-------------------
Another happy parent here! Love the school lunch.  When they go on a museum trip it´s a bit of a shock to the system to have to put something together.  Glad I´m not doing it every day.

The teaching etc. is excellent, no complaints there.  Small class size - my older daughter has 16 in her class.  And those 16 represent 9 different nationalities.  It´s a wonderful atmosphere.  

Speaking of atmosphere - there´s a lovely air of friendliness throughout the school, from the top down.  For example older students (5th & 6th) often get paired with younger kids for reading groups.  It´s cute to see a Jr. Infant in chat with a big kid and loving the attention.

But it´s the extra´s that make my life easy that impress me.  8am start means we miss the worst traffic.  My husband does drop-off, and he´s at his desk by 8.15!  I haven´t seen a book list or a supply request since we started there, apart from the odd cereal box for an art project.  My nieces get 5 weeks of swimming at their school - we´re getting half a year.  And I haven´t been asked to bake for a single fund-raiser or buy tickets for a raffle in 5 years.  

;