Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

4 or 5

4 or 5           reply
05/05/2009 12:39 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi im new to this site! I have a daughter who will be 4 next april and i had fully intended to send her to school in september 2010. She goes to an all irish speaking pre school and will go to a gealscoil. Usually the preschool that she is in does not take children until they are 3 and a half but Ella was out of nappys at 2 so the took her so she will have 2 full years in the pre school where other children only have 1. The teachers tell me she is very advanced and mature for her age and there has never been problems with her being a year younger. But recently ive read things about sending kids too young to school. I think she will be ready and ive bought some baby infants work books for her and shes well able to do the and shes only just gone 3 now. If anyone has any advice for me i would love to hear it

re : 4 or 5           reply
05/05/2009 14:18 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
She´ll more than likely be ready, from what you´ve said. The worst thing you could be doing, however, is doing the Junior Infant Workbooks.

re... : 4 or 5           reply
09/06/2009 12:13 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
From what you´ve said, unless you have serious reservations when the time comes, I would be inclined to send her at 4. My ds went at 4 (in April) and is fine.

re : 4 or 5           reply
05/05/2009 15:24 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Aileen

We´ve had a few other threads on this website along similar lines which might be of interest to you. Here are links directly to the threads

http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/Too-young-for-school--0901271349

http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/Right-age-to-start-school-0609021312

http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/Start-school-at-4-or-5--0812091708!open

Hope these help

re... : 4 or 5           reply
07/06/2009 22:17 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi Aileen,

I worked as an infants teacher with children aged 4 and 5 years and the best advice I can give you is that you know your little one best and it really depends on how mature the child is whether or not they start school at 4 or 5. There are huge individual differences between 4 year olds e.g. as a teacher you can have a 4 year old who is very independent, can play and share and is able to spend time away from Mum and others who are not even toilet trained, cannot put on their coat, etc. I echo the advice of the previous poster who advised against coaching your daughter with Junior Infant workbooks as by the time she reaches school she will be bored. You can support your child´s learning by giving her lots of opportunities to play and share with children, draw and paint and use playdough to develop her fine and gross motor skills, play Simon Says type games to develop her awareness of sounds in the the environment and words and finally read lots and lots and lots of stories to her and allow her to talk about what she sees in the pictures. The academic work can be done in school when she starts.
Best of luck.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;