Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Advise needed re childminder

Advise needed re childminder           reply
01/09/2014 12:57 - Tipperary Childminders
-----------------------------------
Hi there,
I am returning to work shortly after maternity leave and have made arrangements for a neighbour who has kids and is getting back into childminding to take on the baby. She is looking for €5 per hour which is going to work out at €45 per day which is €15 more than what I paid for my first child in another childminders who has since changed jobs. I think this is very high as I have to provide her with everything from car seats to high chairs to travel cot and toys. Should I challenge her on the fee and ask for a daily rate? Would be willing to pay €30/€35? Thanks

re : Advise needed re childminder           reply
02/09/2014 12:44 - Tipperary Childminders
It´s too much. It´s no more than €30 per day where I am (Newport) and I supply all equipment, you shouldn´t have to. Presuming it´s like 8-5 approx, and not anti social hours? I don´t charge by the hour for babies I have all day, it would work out too much and that´s unrealistic for a parent to pay €45 in Tipp.

re : Advise needed re childminder           reply
02/09/2014 21:14 - Tipperary Childminders
Hi there,
As a childminder I dont think this rate is too high - I am currently caring for two school age children and am receiving €9 P/H. I understand that I have transport costs to account for as a result of school and extra curricular pick ups but caring for a baby / toddler as you know involves constant care and this must be taken into account. It may work out better for you to try and arrange for your child to be cared for in your own home if possible to avoid having to provide car seat, high chair etc - good luck with the search!:)

discussion forum terms & conditions

;