Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Aggressive behavior in Preschool

re : Aggressive behavior in Preschool           reply
04/12/2006 16:58 - Pre-school / Montessori
-----------------------------------
Thank you all for replying. I just thought Id let you know that we have at last sorted the problem out!!! We had a meeting with the preschool and discovered that he was becoming frustrated because he was not being stimulated enough and that they were using a ´time out´ system on him that they now agree is futile. After evaluating him during the day in class they have realised that he is far too clever for the ´time out´ system and responds better to being talked to and having things explained to him. They are also positively reinforcing him rather than picking up on his bad behavior. I have to say within 2 days of the preschool´s different approach we had our old son back. Communication seems to be the name of the game in this instance.

re... : Aggressive behavior in Preschool           reply
04/12/2006 17:08 - Pre-school / Montessori
Thats great. You must be relieved. The problem did seem to be originating from the playschool so you were right to persist in communicating with them to sort it out.

Aggressive behavior in Preschool           reply
20/11/2006 13:15 - Pre-school / Montessori
Hi
My son is 4yrs old since Sept 06. Up until recently we have never had any reason to worry about him. He has always been a terrific kid, well behaved, very clever and articulate, very caring and helpful and full of curiosity. He has always been a very sociable child, so much so that people have commented in the past that he is like a magnet - people are just drawn to him!
This has all changed presently and both his father and I are extremely worried about him. We are told that he is the most popular kid in class and that all the kids look up to him and bounce ideas off him but yet we are also getting reports every day from his preschool teacher of outragous tantrums he displays and his aggressive behavior towards his friends and often some teachers. Up until now this behavior has been confined to the preschool but now it is sneaking into our home life. Months ago we noticed some changes in him eg. not wanting to go into preschool, wanting us to stay with him etc ... but put it down to a little separation anxiety, which we thought we dealt with. However, the tantrums have now ceased during the morning drop and have developed throughout the day at school. His teachers tell us he is the most aggressive child in preschool and to be honest we are BAFFLED. He has become very shy and withdrawn from people which is very unlike him and is displaying behavior that just isnt in his character. We are so worried. He is our only child and the thought that he is so distressed at school pains us so bad. We suspect that the preschool may have a contributing influence to this behavior and have had to complain one or two employees there in the past but how can any parent know for sure how their child is being treated at any childcare centre? If anyone out there has any experience of these kinds of problems or can offer us any advice we would very much appreciate it.

re... : Aggressive behavior in Preschool           reply
07/12/2006 20:34 - Pre-school / Montessori
Oh wonderful news. As always it is usually resolvable through communication. Now this is key for parents and Service provider. I ensure daily communication both verbally and in a short daily report to parents using my services. I am very much in favour of the meeting and the outcome. As a parent always check with your child on the days experiences too, I try involve the childrens feedback too on the daily report.

Frances

26/11/2006 13:44 - Pre-school / Montessori
Why not try a sticker chart solution betweeen now and christmas whereby each day he gets a good report from the preschool he gets a sticker to add to his sticker chart at home and at the end of the week if he has so many stickers he gets a small prize or can stay up an hour later or an extra hour at playstation (whatever he is in too). You can also use the same chart to acculumate additional stickers for good behaviour at home - let him come to the shops with you to pick out the stickers you are going to use. Most kids his age will respond positively to sticker chart type motivators. If it makes no difference and his aggressive behaviour continues I would be concerned about why he is so unhappy at the playschool and would agree with the previous post to try and give him a couple of weeks out over the christmas and observe if there is any noticeably difference in behaviour.

20/11/2006 22:06 - Pre-school / Montessori
I can´t pretend I have any experience of what you are going through but I can understand from reading your post why you are worried. It certainly sounds like a relatively sudden inexplicable change is your son´s behaviour pattern. You don´t say how long your son has been in his playschool, presumably a year or two. Have you talked to any of the other parents of children in the playschool to establish whether their kids are happy or have been effected by any staff changes for example. I would imagine your son is due to start school next september so you probably don´t want to move him from the playschool but if you can´t put his behaviour change down to anything else you might have to consider it. It might be an idea to try and give him a few weeks break from the playschool over christmas and see if his behaviour settles down at home and what happens when he returns to the playschool in January. If you can associate a change in his behaviour to when he returns to the playschool in January you might feel in a better position to make a decision about the playschool.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;