Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Am I being ripped off

re... : Am I being ripped off           reply
12/07/2012 16:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Think about your rational proposal before talking to her. Dont go in with guns blazing

re : Am I being ripped off           reply
13/07/2012 21:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yes you are been ripped off ,your barely getting the price of a packet of wipes never mind anything else,as for bank hols u should be paid as the mum is getting paid for her bank hol,their treating you like a nobody stand your ground with them,and dont fall for that excuse she cant afford to pay you anymore money,if thats the case than she should stay at home and mind her own child

13/07/2012 11:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well as I said above she won´t find somebody willing to work for that price/hours. Good luck to her!
And good luck to you, hope it works out for you!
(Do you get paid monthly?)

13/07/2012 08:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
This is atrocious! Ripped off is the right phrase!
You are working 55 hours a week €3.45 an hour and you are providing the food. Even an AU-pair would get paid more and they wouldn´t be providing the food.
I agree with not going in ´all guns blazing´ but you really have to say something. Be assured they won´t find somebody to do the job for that price, so you are at an advantage.
The legal average hours you are meant to work per week is 39 and the minimum wage is €7 something, you are at half that, but you are, i presume, working from your house and not their property which affects the ´employer´ status of them.
I would also think that you would get more on the dole, if you are entitled.
Good Luck!

13/07/2012 11:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi John
Thanks for the reply . I spoke to the mother and she says she can´t afford to pay me anymore end of story ,so I will have to look for another child she will be getting a months notice shortly.

12/07/2012 14:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi There,
Thanks for the reply. The mother does get paid for bank holidays. I worked out the amount you have suggested and it works out €3.81 per hour I understand when providing meals etc the rate is usually around €5 an hour. I am looking after this child for ten months now am going to speak to the mother tonight.

14/07/2012 22:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
good luck i hope you get something soon.and ood luck to her trying to find someone else.shes going to find it hard

12/07/2012 14:45 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I bet the parent of the child gets paid for bank holidays in their place of work.
It is usual for a childminder to arrange terms with the parent similar to a normal job. Meaning, that you get paid a rate per week regardless of bank holidays. It is also usual to agree a number of days off for yourself which you also get paid for. If the child is sick you also get paid.
The rate of €190 per week is not really out of line with market rates but given the longer day, you probably still wouldnt get more than about €210/wk.

14/07/2012 18:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi All,
Thank you so much for the great replies and support I did speak to her and have given a months notice from yesterday. I am paid by the month and it is extremely hard to survive on this money .My husband works but I also have a child to support as my husbands job is short contract I have to be able to survive if his job ends shortly. I now have to start again it is hard as I have looked after the baby for ten months. Hopefully will find someone soon.

Am I being ripped off           reply
12/07/2012 12:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi All
I mind a toddler five days a week from seven twenty in the morning until six o clock in the evening. I provide all the food and drinks wipes etc . I worked out eleven hours a day €3.45 I don´t get paid for bank holidays or holidays . It works out around €190 a week . Bank holidays €160 please advise?
GillyK

14/07/2012 00:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
5 euro an hr.11 hours a day thats 275 a week..some minders say that u have to let the parents get something out of their wages.but it should work both ways.in your case the parents want it there way..try again even say 240.if she dosent agree to that.then its up to you if you stay or move on.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;