Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Am I being ripped off

re : Am I being ripped off           reply
14/07/2013 22:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi there,
I´ve just read your post and I am absolutely fuming. Who came up with that ridiculous figure in the first place?
You should be getting at least €360 a week. That´s working out at €8 p/h by 9 hrs, from your post that´d basic hours. It doesn´t matter a damn if they´re being minded in your house or theirs, you are being taken advantage of. You would get a lot more than that for minding 1 child on their own.
Unless you are in dire straits I´d tell them where to stick it. Anyone who pays €175 for 2 kids full time 5 days a week are just scabby and I doubt you could cut a deal with them.
My advise is to PLEASE get another family quick.
I used to be a working mum myself so I know what it´s like from both sides.
I really hope you find someone soon.

Am I being ripped off           reply
13/07/2013 20:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin North)
I am currently taking care of two children from 7.45 in the morning until 5.00 pm sometimes 6.00pm 5 days a week. For this I recieve 175 euro a week. I have been told I would be paid extra for babysitting and this has not happened so I am expected to babysit the odd night for nothing up to six or seven hours and if i didnt ask would have to pay my own taxi fare home. Furthermore on top of this I have to pay my own bus fare to bring the children for activities every morning and as I cycle anyway this is costing me money. I am feeling really used right now and I am thinking of leaving this position. ANY ONE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ?

MISERABLE

17/07/2013 11:03 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Yes you are being ripped off.
Shockingly low wage. I cam not imagine anyone working for this pay.
I would be giving this job my notice ASAP.
Best of luck

14/07/2013 08:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
YES, esp as i see your in Dublin. Are you in your own home or the child´s home (the latter you need more money rate per hour).
Draw up a list of the hours and extra costs you have, calculate a figure you feel is reasonable for the work up do. Put it to the parent(s). If they value you as a childminder they will see the light as I recently said to someone else the parents are laughing all the way to the bank with the money your saving them. If you decide to do work a few hours for free thats fine but not the other way around, anyway a decent parent would be throwing you extra if u did work for free.
Paying for the bus yourself is outrageous, knock that one on the head by saying you simply can´t afford the bus fare.

re... : Am I being ripped off           reply
16/07/2013 16:05 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
you should be getting a mininum of 8.65 which is mininum wage

16/07/2013 20:54 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
think this family is taken advanted of u

discussion forum terms & conditions

;