Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Any chance of further cutbacks to SNAs?

re... : Any chance of further cutbacks to SNAs?           reply
22/10/2010 09:58 - Education Cutbacks
-----------------------------------
I would hope that the area of special needs in schools would be one of the last things that would be touched in order to make up for the mismanagement of our banks.

Any chance of further cutbacks to SNAs?           reply
21/10/2010 18:39 - Education Cutbacks
With all this talk of Billions in cutbacks coming down the tracks, is anything safe? I just hope that children will be prioritised, especially those with special needs and with SNA entitlements..

22/10/2010 13:25 - Education Cutbacks
The Irish Times - Monday, October 18, 2010
FURTHER CUTS in the number of special needs assistants (SNAs) are signalled in the new plan for education.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1018/1224281343138.html

22/10/2010 12:25 - Education Cutbacks
An Bord Snip Nua recommended that 2,000 SNA posts be cut to save €60 million a year and further cutbacks are likely to continue. Extra staff and supports in DEIS schools are also likely to be targeted. (Dr Emer Smyth / ESRI report).
Parents and schools need to get organised and make their views heard, and get on to their TDs, and on to the streets, ahead of the budget.

re : Any chance of further cutbacks to SNAs?           reply
22/10/2010 07:47 - Education Cutbacks
I sincerely hope not but nothing is sacred at the moment. My son has access to an SNA and is doing well. The lady who decides on the resources for the schools was talking about children needing less support as they get older. I suppose that makes sense up to a point but when they go to secondary school it must be like starting all over again so they need extra help, not less.

22/10/2010 13:00 - Education Cutbacks
They have also been saying in the media that the recommendations of An Bord Snip were merely a menu and that it was never intended that all the items mentioned in the report would be cut. It´s off to my TDs now and we all need to make our feelings known.

22/10/2010 12:58 - Education Cutbacks
As a parent of a child with special needs, I have heard various rumours over the past couple of years. I think that now is the time to make sure that supports for special needs kids are ring fenced and excluded from the list of cutbacks. I would go without my family holiday and lots more besides if I thought my son would get adequate supports.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;