Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Any recommendations of co-ed secondary schools in Cork?

Any recommendations of co-ed secondary schools in Cork?           reply
11/04/2009 01:18 - School Specific (Locality: Cork)
-----------------------------------
Hello,
We are moving from Bay area of San Francisco to Cork because of my husband´s research work at UCC. I am looking for my 14years old son a public, co-ed secondary school in Cork close or near by UCC or somewhere around that area. Any recommendations?
Thank you

re... : Any recommendations of co-ed secondary schools in Cork?           reply
11/04/2009 18:31 - School Specific
Any information about Bishopstown Community school and Colaiste Choilm, Ballincollig?

11/04/2009 11:00 - School Specific
Most of the other second level schools are not co-ed. An other co-ed option would be the private ´grind´ schools. There are a few of those in the city centre, such as Bruce College. They are expensive though and extra curricular activities are extremely limited, if there at all.

12/04/2009 23:45 - School Specific
I agree with Lynda. Almost all the good secondary schools in Cork are NOT co-ed. You are very limited if you are set on co-ed schools as most of the very good second level schools in Cork are NOT co-ed, as Lynda has explained.

re : Any recommendations of co-ed secondary schools in Cork?           reply
11/04/2009 10:56 - School Specific
Ashton Secondary School on the Blackrock Road is a Co-Ed school. It´s within walking distance of town (Cork City) and not too far from many amenities. I don´t know the specifics about their school but they must have a website and there are some details on Schooldays.ie also.

11/04/2009 23:15 - School Specific
I hope that my most recent reply explains the predicament to you a bit better regarding the predominance of single-sex schools and the scarcity of city co-ed schools at second level. There is one other very good co-ed school in Glanmire called Colaiste an Phiarsaigh. The reason I didn´t suggest this to you is because it´s through the medium of Irish and would obviously not be suitable for your son, given that he has no Irish.

11/04/2009 22:49 - School Specific
All of these schools are on Easter holidays until Monday 20th April. My advice to you is to look up their websites, get their email addresses and send emails to all three schools with a list of the questions you would most like answers to. Once you have replies from them, you can proceed from there.
Unfortunately, it´s an historic thing that most older city secondary schools are single-sex, as most schools were originally run by either priests/brothers or nuns. The brothers ran schools for boys while the nuns ran schools for girls. There is a very wide range of excellent schools for boys (or girls) in the city and suburbs but in terms of co-ed, you are extremely restricted.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;