Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Assistance for dyslexic student

re... : Assistance for dyslexic student           reply
29/08/2008 10:16 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
-----------------------------------
Thanks for that. Unfortunately we only discovered our sons dyslexia when already in secondary school and so working on the backfoot (so to speak). Its been extremely difficult and certainly supports are very poor - know what you mean about the department - cutbacks etc!!!!!!! Best of luck

re : Assistance for dyslexic student           reply
21/08/2008 22:03 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi, I recently gave grinds(Im a Primary school teacher), to a Leaving Cert. student who had the same problem but I don´t think the school were even aware of it and therefore nothing was done about it for her exams. As far as I know, a dyslexic student is allowed to have someone beside them, in the exam, to write the answers which the student themselves give, so as there isn´t much mis-spelling. Not entirely sure of this and whether it still exists.

27/08/2008 13:11 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi Eimer, thank you very much for that, its a very good website. Anything that keeps them reading is great, but I never taught about that type of material other than heavily over-priced audio-books. In relation to the exemptions carrying over, I am certain that is what I was told. The exemptions and supports in primary are supposedly applicable for second level nor is the assessment, because a student matures. But I know at the end of 2nd year when I had my son re-assessed we where told the exemptions granted carried over into the Leaving Cert and on to Third Level. Not sure if a further assessment is required at third level. But the department? what a shower, only for the school he goes to he´d have been left behind.

27/08/2008 10:38 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi there, thats useful to know, as I didn´t realise that the exemptions carried through to leaving cert and beyond. The other thing to mention to you is if he has a lot of difficulty reading - it may be possible to get some of the readers on CD rom, so that instead they can listen to it. I called the dyslexia association regarding this and they were checking into it. However, for some of the novels in secondary - you can download them from the internet (and possibly put them on an Ipod). Libervox.com is one which I have got downloads from. Basically whatever help you can give them to make it more manageable. The very best of luck to you both.

26/08/2008 11:17 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi there. As a parent of a dyslexic student (almost 15) who was diagnosed only 18 months ago I would suggest the following to you. If you haven´t had your son assessed as yet, you should get an assessment asap. Once you have this you will be able to see if he might receive certain exemptions, (depends on the degree of difficulty). I also understand that it may be possible to have either a scribe or possibly a computer in school exams. However, when applying for exemptions for State exams this must be done the October before the exam takes place. Wherever he goes to school they should be able to apply for this. Its important to get as much support as possible, but I can only say that the system does not make it easy for our children.

26/08/2008 13:33 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi, Thanks for your advice. I thought as much myself but now I know I need to go to the Dyslexic Association for some much needed advice and support.

26/08/2008 13:30 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi
Thankyou for your response. I have had my son tested infact when he was in sixth class in primary. He attends remedial class in his school but it`s not sufficient in his case. I shall speak to the headmaster immediately and find out what kind of help he is entitled to for the exams and I will also contact the Dyslexic association for whatever advice and support they can offer.
Thanks again

Assistance for dyslexic student           reply
19/08/2008 13:46 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
My 14 year old son is about to go into 3rd year at our local post primary school. He will sit his Junior Cert next summer and my concern is that he is dyslexic and I really want some advice as to what kind of help I can arrange for him. I would be willing to arrange grinds in Maths or indeed any subject he struggles with. I am not happy with the help he gets at school, I don’t
think it is sufficient and I have heard that the department need to be aware of his learning disability when marking his exams. Is there a course he could attend maybe during his mid term breaks which would prepare him for the exams. I would appreciate any advice from other parents.

24/08/2008 19:10 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi, I wouldn´t hang about, if you think your son is dyslexic get onto the Dyslexic Association as soon as possible. They will give you all the advise you need.
http://www.dyslexia.ie/ Their phone details are on the opening page of their website. They will provide you with a list of special needs grind teachers you can contact.
My son just did is Junior Cert but he was diagnosed in Primary, even then its been a right struggle, for him that is. But the choice of secondary school is crucial. Not knowing where you live, for special needs a good rule of thumb for second level schools are the Pobalscoil/Community/Comprehensive schools - for instance, Newpark, Mount Temple, Malahide, Sutton, Ard Scoil La Salle, Rosmini etc - any school flying under the community School banner are usually a very good choice as they generally do try to provide - within their resources for special needs.
The first thing is to establish if he is and to get help. The association will be able to advise you. Good Luck and be prepared to battle hard for him.

27/08/2008 13:12 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
sorry I meant to say the exemptions at primary are NOT applicable for second level.

08/07/2009 10:07 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi as a parent of a dyslexic teenager and also a dyslexia facilitator I understand your feelings perfectly. I can be contacted on 0862391545 018169909 annemarie@mindseyeireland.ie or for more inforation www.mindseyeireland.. I provide one to one training courses for adults and children .The programme I use is called the Davis method and have found it to be very successfull references are available. Thanks Anne Marie

26/08/2008 17:52 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi, Just to back up what Eimer said, there is some urgency in this and it can be a bit of a struggle. But I´d just like to say that the exemptions he gets for the Junior Cert should apply for the Leaving as well. So if for instance he gets a reader he will be entitled to one for his Leaving Cert. If he has grammatical exemptions they also apply and on into third level. So the exemptions you get now are really important. And yes fight hard, it does help in having an understanding school, but I can also say it DOES get better. Remember too your son only wants to be like the other kids. The Junior Cert year has been a bit stressful but the exemptions helped in his exam so much.
Good luck.

26/08/2008 13:40 - Special Needs / Tutors Required
Hi,
Thankyou so much for your advice. I realise I must make the school take action as soon as the new term begins. They really dont offer any help unless I fight for it.I had my son assessed privately when he was in sixth class in primary school as he was clearly slipping through the system. I will contact the Dyslexic Association immediately so I know where I stand before the term begins.
Thanks again

discussion forum terms & conditions

;