Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Bad experience as a childminder

re... : Bad experience as a childminder           reply
15/08/2015 16:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Thank you for your reply and your kind words. It´s terrible really that this happens I never knew I thought it was just me. I remember when my youngest started Montessori I was so happy when she formed a bond with her teacher it gave me peace of mind leaving her. In fact I´m still friends with her teacher. All my family and friends are still shocked by what was done to me because they knew how well I looked after the little girl, maybe when I meet another family I will do what u said at the beginning so this won´t happen again thanks

re : Bad experience as a childminder           reply
03/09/2015 19:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
As a mammy who is looking for a childminder I would be only too delighted if my daughter felt so loved by her minder that she called her mama. Definitely hormones. Well done to you for creating such a loving environment!

15/08/2015 19:05 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Wow Maryella thank you that´s very kind of you. I agree with you and I think all they had to do was discuss it with me and we could of worked on her calling me something different and I also agree about hormones and she probably felt guilty working because the father knew for weeks the little girl was calling me ´mama´ it was only when she collected her and heard it that was the end. Will just have to put it down to experience! Thank you for your kind words

Bad experience as a childminder           reply
15/08/2015 14:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin South)
I´ve just had a really bad and horrible experience as a childminder and I would like to share my story see if anyone else has ever experienced what I did. I started working for a couple last year (on a part time basis), their baby was 10 months old at the time.

I am an experienced Mum of two loving children, I gave the little girl 5 star care, provided meals for her, brought her on family outings, created a safe and happy environment, she absolutely loved being at my home and got on great with my children. In fact when her dad collected her she used to go ballistic she never wanted to leave. I never let this couple down, they were constantly changing my days, switching days, taking days off me but I always obliged. Same with my wages there was no consistency.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I received a call last week from the father of the child telling me they didn´t need me anymore that the Mum was on maternity leave and they were going to spend time with family even though I was booked for work for the next 2 months. I never received one complaint from them in the 9 months I cared for their daughter they even asked me would I consider minding the new baby.

Instantly I knew something was wrong, I asked him to be honest with me and tell me the truth. What I was then told was shocking - they fired me because their daughter called me ´mama´. I nearly fell off the chair!!!

The child was spending more time with my kids because they are on their summer holidays, she was listening to them all day calling me mama and she was parroting them. We all corrected her several times but she couldn´t grasp my name. I IN NO WAY told the child I was her mother nor was I comfortable with her calling me ´mama´. I was so upset and tried to explain this but he didn´t want to know.

Any thoughts??? I have requested a reference but they won´t answer my texts.

15/09/2015 20:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi sea, Where are you based!!! you sound like what I am looking for!! you must do an amazing job. so sorry this has happened to you

17/08/2015 14:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Totally agree with you thanks for your post!

06/12/2015 23:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
That is extremely sad ending to all the care you gave their child. When I minded a child,from 3mths,she started calling me mammy at about 2yrs of age. I apologised to her mother saying that I couldnt get her to call me by my name or another pet name,the mother said not to worry,she calls me "my mammy"....Kids work these things out by themselves

15/08/2015 19:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks I think I will do some reading as you suggest on the sites before I start looking for another child to mind this has definitely been an eye opener!

15/08/2015 18:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am a primary teacher. Children often call their infant teacher mama. Are they going to fire their infant teacher? The problem here is that we all feel guilty for leaving our children in childcare. It is nothing personal - pregnancy hormones wouldn´t help either. Fair play to you for being so good to the children in your care. Maybe your just too good at your job!

17/08/2015 08:31 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
are they going to say to the next childminder.we would appreciate it if your kids don´t call you mam around our child.hope they know what they are doing because they could end up with a minder who just plonks her in front of the TV.

15/08/2015 17:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I´m five years childminding and it´s a world of ups n downs...just be professional and provide your service the best you can...if your fairly new to childminding I´d read every post here and on rollercoaster.ie if I can mention them as experience in dealing with some parents is priceless

15/08/2015 15:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Unfortunately iv had this but never to point they left but could definitely feel resentment and had to step back when parent arrived .. I now explain at the start that they do grow to love this place and at no time do I encourage or aim to replace the parents...it´s tough on working parents as you say kids with you alot hours in the day...I had situations where babies leap over a hug, kids trying to get into my car when I might meet them out....
These parents should count their blessings that their kids are happy in your care, it´s just mentality of your parents they can´t see it...often as with life who knows what´s going on in anyone´s life....
I wouldn´t worry about a reference as iv never gave one but just have asked few parents if ok say you here for so long....Iv found people know anyway whov youv had etc...
You could send a little card to the child to say goodbye from you n your own kids as iv found parting gift shopping or making something great way to ease the future loss...

15/08/2015 20:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks a mill I will have a look at that. I totally agree with you about the humble childminder. My partner made a good point he thinks that childminders should be treated with the utmost respect as they are caring for precious cargo it´s mind boggling really thanks for your post

15/08/2015 19:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I´d a professional career before childminding in a traditional respected area, unfortunately the respect threshold is very low for the humble childminder when something crops up, unless one has childminded one can´t appreciate this...if your on fb join the UK closed forum childminding for you, cming is completely seen as professional area where childminders have protection in a case like your as contact will stipulate a min finish period normally four weeks and insurance company will follow parent for fees...no such luck here....

discussion forum terms & conditions

;