Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminder?

re : Childminder?           reply
03/02/2014 16:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
I would err on the side of caution of mixing childminding and family. The relationship between a childminder and a family can be extremely fragile. Even with having a rock solid contract in place.

Childminder?           reply
03/02/2014 15:54 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Kildare)
Hi,

My sister in law has very kindly offered to mind our 6 month old L.O. for 3 hours every day (Monday to Friday) in her home.

I just want to check the going rate before I sit down to discuss/hopefully finalize everything with her so that there are no "fall outs" down the line.

How much should I pay her/How much is the average,normal going rate?

Am I right in presuming that I pay her if we are on holidays but don´t if she is on holidays or if she is sick and unable to mind the child or if her children are sick so my child can´t go in for the day?

Is there anything else that might be prudent to consider/discuss before we agree to everything?

Many thanks for your help!

03/02/2014 19:05 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I totally agree with previous replies. Have been there before and would never like to experience again. Even having a rock solid relationship to start off with it did not stand in my favour. Do yourself a favour and most of all your child´s and get someone else. As a parent I know it´s an awfull feeling but I guarantee the old saying "out of sight----" is so true. There are plenty of great childminders out there. Promise.

03/02/2014 18:45 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would avoid a family member minding for me at all costs, it will only lead to disaster. As the other poster stated it is a very fragile relationship anyway with out adding to it. Also never presume anything with a childminder, a childminders who minds in their home draft their own terms, ie holidays,pay,sick days, pick up etc it is then down to the perspective parents to agree or not as the case may be, this is very difficult to do with a family member.

re... : Childminder?           reply
04/02/2014 10:53 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i have looked after relatives kids over the yrs.and i have never had 1 problem.all you need to do is pay the going rate of 5 euro an hour. 20 euro a day would be good.pay for any days you take of.cover bank holidays.and any holidays you take.no harm in trying it out.

03/02/2014 19:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I totally agree with the previous posters. Do not go there! I know 2 people that did it for close family members and now they no longer even speak which is so so sad because it also ended in the children concerned not having a relationship with the cousins. Please reconsider and show your sister in law all these replies so she knows it isn´t anything personal.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;