Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminder

re... : Childminder           reply
27/07/2014 17:37 - Kildare Childminders
-----------------------------------
Suantrai, in my experience (mother of 5 working full time always) there are many minders who don´t expect to be paid when they are not working. If there is an on call arrangement then that´s different and could be agreed in advance for the rare occasions when the kids aren´t well. Crèches don´t charge full time rates when it´s an afterschool arrangement and they are businesses. The best thing to do is seek a new arrangement with either another childminder or Creche. I´m a HR manager and don´t pay people for hours they don´t work and am not obliged to by law just because they might be available. I do pay my minders ( I currently have two ) when I am on holidays etc, and where my kids are really sick I prefer to be at home with them myself, but I would still pay my minder on those days. It´s all agreed in advance and in 18 years I haven´t had an issue or disagreement with a minder about money. HTH

re : Childminder           reply
26/07/2014 09:44 - Kildare Childminders
That doesn´t make any sense. I´ve had children in the childcare system for 18 years and have never had a minder who expected to be paid when they were not working. It´s not usual.

27/07/2014 16:02 - Kildare Childminders
I disagree. Your childminder is holding a place in her care for your child. What happens if your child is sick on a certain day and needs to be collected from pre school, I bet you would expect to be able to call on your childminder to collect your child. Childcare is a job for many childminders and to expect them to hold a place and still offer whatever hours suit you is unfair. Perhaps discuss a reduced rate of pay for these hours. If in your employment you were available for work and there was nothing for you to do, you would still expect to be paid?. Obviously your situation makes no difference to me and I would not like to think I have offended, but just offering you my opinion on it.

Childminder           reply
21/07/2014 00:09 - Kildare Childminders
My child will be in pre school 5 days a week from September . My childminder wants me to pay full rate for the hours the child is in pre school which is 15 hours per week. Is this usual? Should I negotiate this rate? I expected that I would not pay her for these hours. Any advice please?

08/08/2014 15:50 - Kildare Childminders
Hi, i have to agree with the previous comments,i have been chilminding for the last 30 years and if i was needed for a certain amount of hours per week i have always been paid for them regardless of if the parents decided not to bring the child in, if you value your childminder and happy with the care, also expect them to drop everything to collect a sick child from school, terms should be in writing at the start of a contract so everyone knows where they stand,after all child minding is a proper and hard job and people should treat it as one regardless.

re... : Childminder           reply
27/07/2014 16:30 - Kildare Childminders
I totally agree with last comment. I have been in the childcare profession for 30 years and can assure you that the correct thing to do is pay your childminder. It was your decision to put your child into preschool, so unless you are starting with new childcare and the agreement clearly states from 12 to 5 (or whatever). Otherwise why should your childminder hold your place for reduced money. I understand it can seem unfair to you, but she is still your childminder and still available to do her job.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;