Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

First Holy Communion changed to a sunday

re : First Holy Communion changed to a sunday           reply
27/07/2009 16:17 - First Holy Communion
-----------------------------------
Hi,

I cannot see what difference it makes, being on a Saturday or Sunday. My son made his on a Sunday, I know a lot of the parents were up in arms at the idea, but the priest explained to us that communion was always on a Sunday, and that it was changed to facilitate large numbers making their communions. My son made his durning the 12.30 family mass, there were a small group, about 30 or so, and it was a lovely special day, I dont think it matters what day it falls on, once it is made special for the child.

re... : First Holy Communion changed to a sunday           reply
09/08/2009 15:01 - First Holy Communion
Since my last reply i have had a deep conversaton with our parish priest regarding the situation. He was very understanding and since hes only new to the area and this had all started before he arrived he made some very good points as well as listening to what we had to say. He can understand some issues and is willing to think it over. I did say that it should have been explained like this to all parents last year and if it had we wouldn´t have had problems. With regards to reserved seating there was but people didn´t accept it. Its nothing to do with the schools and with regards to parents getting involved i will but the parish council may not allow us.. They ahve there ideas and my points are that they allow us to help as half of them don´t even have kids....

29/07/2009 09:25 - First Holy Communion
Hi,

Why do you think that your daughters day will be ruined? Is it because it is in the Sunday mass? If so could you not work together with the priest to see if he can reserve seating to accommodate everyone. My sons school is a multi-denominational school, so the parents were very involved in the organisation of the day, we found that it was better to work with the priest rather then against him, after all he has the final say!

28/07/2009 19:05 - First Holy Communion
Well it was always a sunday as far back as i remember and that of my mam and she is 70. Well at least your priest had the courtesy to speak to you, as i just keep getting fobbed off. he is not listening and i refuse to have my daughters special day ruined because it turned out to be a sham this year with not enough seating as its in with a normal mass and to be honest i feel the priests only think whats easier for them and not others.. well i am not letting it drop and thanks for your information.... it was nice of you to reply...

First Holy Communion changed to a sunday           reply
22/07/2009 17:25 - First Holy Communion (Locality: Dublin North)
Hi i am new to this site. My daughter attends a school in Finglas that has this year changed the first holy communion to a sunday from a saturday. Has anyone else had this happen or does anyone else think this is wrong.. Why are the church getting involved with changes in the school and the parents have no say whatsoever... I am a regular church goer and am deeply dissappointed at the way i have been treated since campaigning to get it changed back.. I feel my beliefs and opinions are not thought of and feel i have been pushed out of my church by reactions from the parish priest and the curate. I realy don´t think this is what god would have wanted and i do believe he would have listened to us.. Why do they think they are better than us....

28/07/2009 23:11 - First Holy Communion
To be honest, Sunday suits more people now that so many work on a Saturday .
I can´t really see why it is a problem.The school are working on behalf of the parish so the priest ,of course, has a big sway.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;