Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How Much Should I Be Paying My Childminder, Am I being Fair ??

re : How Much Should I Be Paying My Childminder, Am I being Fair ??           reply
03/07/2013 15:14 - Kildare Childminders
-----------------------------------
OmG she must be laughing all the way to the bank (literally) even at 3 hours per day 15 per week you should only be giving her €70-€75 per week as it is normally €5 per hour I would certainly be having a word (I also am a childminder and would not take advantage of the parents of the children I care for)

re... : How Much Should I Be Paying My Childminder, Am I being Fair ??           reply
03/07/2013 15:19 - Kildare Childminders
:-) Thanks I´m starting to see that from the replies I´ve gotten today. Everyone has said around 5e an hour, changing from a crèche to a childminder 5 years ago I didn´t really know what the going rate was and 500e was less than the 750e I´d been paying a crèche so I was happy. But I´ve started listening to friends lately telling me I was mad and wanted something to back me up when I approach the subject with her. Hate discussing money. Thanks for the info :-)

How Much Should I Be Paying My Childminder, Am I being Fair ??           reply
03/07/2013 11:05 - Kildare Childminders
Hi,
Looking for some opinions on this from Childminders or other people using Childminders.
My childminder currently minds my son in her own home, she lives beside the school gates. I drop him off at 8:30 and school starts at 9am, he runs in on his own. School finishes at 2:45 and he runs home to her house. I collect him at 5:10pm. So in total she minds him 3 hours a day. She is supposed to do his homework with him but she doesn´t check it and its the only thing he got a bad report on this year. She gives him dinner but its usually Hotdog, Pizza or whatever she has in her freezer. She is a lovely woman but I feel like I´m being taken advantage of. The last year one of his friends mothers takes him from school on a Tuesday. So she only has him for a Half and Hour on Tuesdays. On mid terms and summer holidays he tends to go to his Grandparents, I put him in Camps, His friends mother minds him or my relatives do. Only if I´m really stuck does she mind him. I have been paying her 500e per month, I have never cut this despite him not being there on Tuesdays any longer etc. Money is tight and I feel the need to reduce what I pay her but I want to be fair. Can anyone give me any advice on if I´m overpaying, underpaying or being unfair? Thanks

discussion forum terms & conditions

;