Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much to Pay Childminder

How much to Pay Childminder           reply
28/08/2018 08:20 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Kildare)
-----------------------------------
Hi

Just wondering what the going rate would be for 2 children ( 1 in school; other in creche for free childcare year) 5 days a week, 8am to 5.30pm?

Also, does that rate come down once both kids are in school?

I have a brilliant childminder but she has said that as my youngest is starting creche that rate will be the same as it has always been. I am wondering why i am sending him for the free childcare place. Also she mentioned it will probably stay the same once he starts school as electricity and heat etc have gone up... she is minding them in her home. She does drop off and pick up. And both creche and school are with 3 mins from home.

I just want to see what other families are paying..thanks

re : How much to Pay Childminder           reply
28/08/2018 08:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I wouldn´t expect any reduction in childminder fee tbh. She still has them in am pre-school and she´ll be doing drops and collections (which is invaluable for any parent). And I guess cm wouldn´t be free to take on other income / other child for those 2.5/3 hours that she doesn´t have your child.

28/08/2018 14:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for your feedback. Would you expect it when the begin school when she is free from 9am to 1.30pm?

28/08/2018 15:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, I am a childminder, I mind two siblings, similar situation to yours, I have been minding for this family since the oldest child was 6 months. I charge €25 per day for the school going child, that includes drop off and pick up (ten min walk) and food and 45€ per day for child in playschool, again drop off and pick up and food. I don´t give a discount for playschool hours, I don´t think in general any childminders do, it´s only a couple of hours, I am on call and u would never be able to fill these few hours with another child. I do give a discount for when the child goes to primary school. As for the rise in heating costs etc, I would have these whether I am minding a child in my home or not. Basically, I would expect a reduction in fees once the child goes to primary school but certainly not for playschool. Hope this helps, Anne

28/08/2018 16:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks Anne,
That is really helpful. She is a really good childminder and I am lucky so i didnt want to be insulting by asking her these things.

28/08/2018 17:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If a registered childminder, they charge the ecce hours.
If its cash minder youv some leeway to open up a discussion but if she saying her household bills going up might be a sign she´ll not agree with any reduction. All our bills are going up really but that has nothing to do with a rate based on job description.
Nat sch hours its only hours needed/reduced day rate. That discussion is def needed. Especially if your paying the going rate. Only time iv ever seen rate staying the same when nat sch is if day rate currently very low.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;