Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much to charge?

re... : How much to charge?           reply
13/09/2015 10:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Tlc:edel...are you aware your house insurance covers you free for two kids but you need to inform them obviously and register with revenue.ie. Some will add third child. Childminding Ireland offer a tailor made insurance policy €155. This policy also needs to be informed to your house insurance as it invalidates any future claim if they not know. Insurance for your car also needs looking at...Iv class II but some are happy with 1b.
I recently had a looking mum who didn´t want her Toddler in my car, even though I´m fully insured. This is the future, childminders need to operate a service in order to make a living out of it.
Angie, I´m nearly into my fourth year with my longest family, iv got parents to pay going rate but iv also had unbelievable rates put to me, the thing is someone is always going to be cheaper but parents need peace of mind while at work..could you review your rates...

19/09/2015 18:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thank you for your advice! Much appreciated.

re : How much to charge?           reply
12/09/2015 17:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, are you registered and insured...parents will pay those rates if all your boxes ticked...certainly in Dublin and areas of high demand going by fb n websites...I feel promotion of the registered childminder is only recently being heard of and parents are getting tighter on paying an uninsured childminder...also alot parents are moving from creche to registered childminder if one is available, for a variety reasons...
I know some registered childminders will ring or text as a follow up but I personally wouldn´t...I never meet parents anymore unless iv everything agreed before as unfortunately third parent I jumped at to meet without discussing money as quick phonecall and she on a different planet moneywise...and really at meet up stage only judging if both parties happy with each as building a future relationship important. I charge a deposit and so you´ll know the intended parents as they´ll pay or plan to pay it ASAP...
Did parents give any hint at all re why they not using your service...with me it´s normally money and any haggling sorry no space available...

13/09/2015 09:55 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Angie, iv found it very easy to register as self employed...im voluntary notified so it´s a case I get stuff done iv needed to do in my own time...registering with your county childcare committe you can get the 1000euro grant every two years..it´s fantastic, the current round has closed but it will be open again..you also get to do the two day qap childminding course which is certified, it´s great for the paperwork and tax man side of it...equally you always have their office to ring or email for support and access to training.. Why do u feel it´s difficult to register, perhaps I or others can help?

12/09/2015 23:58 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hiya ,i have a great reputation with only 3 long term families,i really feel that it should be easier for childminders to become self employed,im barely making a wage and i work damn hard and its not for pocket money,i really think the world is divided into those who pay for childcare(always wanting better rates) and childminders doing their best to oblige,thanks for your comments

12/09/2015 19:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
At the moment I am not registered or insured but this is something I have no problem doing. I am Garda vetted thru working in a creche so that´s no problem there. They never gave any explanation as to why they were no longer interested. Do u feel that 5euro is high? I didn´t think so considering that yes it is hard work and that is to cover my wage as well as extra food and other supplies for the children like replacing toys etc when needed. Also what should be charged for siblings

How much to charge?           reply
12/09/2015 15:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi guys I am based in Dublin 5 and have just recently started to advertise my services as a childminder from my own home. I have had a couple of people inquire about the price and never heard anything more since and am wondering if I am asking for too much.. I am offering to mind children from my home, I have an area set up wth lots of toys, books, etc. Meals and snacks will be included and was asking for 5euro an hour. I was also offering a discount of 20euro for full time care and half price for siblings. I thought this was reasonable as I know childcare is becoming increasingly expensive.

12/09/2015 17:32 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Ps half price for second sibling too much...Dublin €9.50, average €8 countrywide or discount if 5 days..I don´t offer food either...

18/09/2015 20:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I charge 60 e per day for 3 children, 3yo, 4yo and 10 months. 8.00 am to 5.30 is it too much, too little?thank you!

12/09/2015 20:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Angie, I´m rural...my god that´s shocking low...I feel this forum great for discussions... I couldn´t childmind for that per hr...I´d prefer no work and find this mindset is what allows me continue cming, once iv covered my insurances, prsi etc...
I totally agree with you re no security as iv gone through a granny passing on mum back fulltime work immediately and I couldn´t take kids so in creche, a mum selfemployed getting busy n didn´t suit me so got au pair and lately a maternity...in England the insurance company pay out two months wages in event of losing kid/s...
I know a registered childminder who made a loss last year...childminding traditionally seen as mammy making pocket money....
It´s definitely worth registering as one can advertise freely, once you get your first family, word of mouth is great also...

19/09/2015 11:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
it is 5 days a week 7.30am to 5.30. 2 children are full time , 3rd from 2.00 to 5.30. It is in their home and I am not going to provide food.thank you!

14/09/2015 06:32 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If you are voluntary notified you can claim the tax excemption of paying no tax if you earn under 15k...you don´t need to keep expenses in this case but it is good practice in case you go over the 15k...it´s for this reason I don´t offer food aswell so no pile receipts. Prsi €500.
There is a two day course ran by your ccc called Qap..this is free to do and youv to make no commitment to voluntary notify to do it...email your ccc and ask for their starter pack, mine was brilliant years ago. Childminding Ireland also have a pack but I can´t remember if u get this when youv paid your membership of 155.

13/09/2015 21:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
insurance issues and voluntary notification would be no problem but its the revenue side of it is confusing for me.how to work out your profit after expenses.did you say there is a course that you can do to help with that.

18/09/2015 20:23 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I charge 60 e per day for 3 children, 3yo, 4yo and 10 months. 8.00 am to 5.30 is it too much, too little?

19/09/2015 07:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Cathy assuming they three siblings and you in your home, its too low, certainly if you registered and insured but may depend on how many days as you be giving a discount if 5 days...its average €10 an hr for three kids but registered childminders in built up areas would charge €14 for three kids going on 10% siblings discount...are you providing food?

12/09/2015 18:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi everybody,there is a huge difference between payment in dublin and the rest of the country,i am a qualified childminder with 15 years experience and i am on 3.88 per hour for 2 children.i would be laughed out of it if i asked for 5 euro per hour.it really annoys me as it is a hard,challenging job with long hours.i really feel that childminders in this country for the most part are undervalued with no security of employment.sorry for hijacking your thread but i needed a rant!!! stick to your guns if that is the going rate in your area

19/09/2015 14:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Their home, minimum wage applies at least, €60 illegal on their behalf...going cash you can be fired at drop of a hat as youv no contract and you´ll have no entitlements to holiday pay, bank hols etc and so sick pay etc...plus if you had accident at work youv no come back as the family haven´t notified their house insurance theyv a full time nanny. Three small kids is alot of work for long day five days a week...it´s down to you in the end and often a job is a job, best of luck in your decision..

discussion forum terms & conditions

;