Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How to give notice

re... : How to give notice           reply
14/05/2014 16:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi minder mum hope you don´t mind the pm . This couple have arguments in front of myself and my son some real some messing and it Is starting to embarrass my son. She constantly puts him down and wallops him in front of us and expects us to laugh. There is also an issue with older child school tanks he is special needs(he is) and as she is a teacher herself she won´t listen to them or me. I like the children and really don´t want upset or embarrass people but don´t know what to do other than give up job. Today as she was getting into car she shouted told work I will be in early tomorrow and working late so you are on early and late I was taken back and couldn´t say anything. But have decided to tell her I am taking Monday off in lieu of all extra hours done do you think that would be fair. I pad this in case she may recognise herslf

14/05/2014 22:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi aisling I have never offered a cup of tea and never will! I have always spoken to kids about their behaviour when parents come and have threatened them with no treats walks playground etc if they carry on like that when parents arrive to no avail. I know I am very soft but I don´t like confrontation in any form at all and have never in all of 8 years childminding come across something like this. The are really good friendly kids in my care but totally change when mum and dad come in. Will try and address it this fri and let you all know how it goes. Thank you for letting me know I´m not over fussy about this

16/05/2014 13:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi all just an update. I asked parents last night could we have a meeting as I had a few issues. We sat down and I had all my issues written down. They started to get a bit defensive but once I showed them my list they listened. They are not too happy so I told them to let me know today if they wanted me to continue and we would work from there with a contract if not I am quiet happy to give notice. This morning mum was all apolagetic and wants me to continue. I drafted a contract with all my conditions timekeeping rates how I expect my home to be treated and how children will be treated in my care. I gave her this this morning and got a text from her at lunch to say they are happy with this and so sorry for taking things for granted. I have told her with contract we are on one months trial to see how it goes .thank you all for your advice it really helped just to talk to other childminders

16/05/2014 16:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
well done you,glad its sorted as it would have continued if nothing was said

14/05/2014 17:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Dear God, its a tricky one. Complex on a number of angles. Others may advise best route to take as Iv never experienced more than Iv previously wrote....Id say it to the parent the issues your having.....if your at the end and have no issue with losing your job.....in my experience of only once ever standing my ground with a parent she left grabbing child n all, while I was in state of shock, felt a huge relief at the same time...stating your terms n conditions and see how she reacts could be the answer to your problem. Best of luck hope it all works out....

17/05/2014 12:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thats great, now you all know where you stand. Happy minding! - (Ashling.)

16/05/2014 15:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks minder of child they have just collected kids on time and left within 5 mis. They also left the contract signed with a bottle of wine and flowers with a card saying how sorry they both were for taking me for granted and they understood my issues and were willing to work with me to resolve them. So happy days I hope

14/05/2014 20:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
kids are acting up with them around,you need to have words with the parents or look for someone new,its causing you stress in the evenings with your own family and prob mornings to,have a chat on fri when she comes to collect and overstays her welcome ideal opportunity to talk

14/05/2014 16:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just saw I posted it instead of pm but I really am in a tizzy bout what to do

14/05/2014 15:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, sorry never mentioned the notice bit....Id try and manage the situation first before I would lose the job....unless you in an area of plenty people working and needing childcare.

How to give notice           reply
14/05/2014 12:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi I have been minding siblings for the past year. Very difficult children in the sense that they will do as I say but when parents arrive(normally late) to pick up all hell breaks out and they run riot around my house and wreck the place much to the amusement of the parents who are a professional couple. I try to talk to the parents about this and it is landing on deaf ears as they incourage this behaviour. Parents arrive early for drop off late for pick up and delay leaving my house by about 30 to 40 mins. I work extra hours when asked and receive no extra payment. The kids seem very happy here but the carry on at pick up time is proving very stressful to myself and my own son. I know parents are very happy with the care kids are getting here but I think I may have to give notice. Any ideas how to approach this matter without seeming rude and if not resolved how much notice should I give we don´t have a contract but I wouldn´t like to leve them stuck. Thanks to anyone who has any advice

Hi aisling I have never offered a cup of tea and never will! I have always spoken to kids about their behaviour when parents come and have threatened them with no treats walks playground etc if they carry on like that when parents arrive to no avail. I know I am very soft but I don´t like confrontation in any form at all and have never in all of 8 years childminding come across something like this. The are really good friendly kids in my care but totally change when mum and dad come in. Will try and address it this fri and let you all know how it goes. Thank you for letting me know I´m not over fussy about this

re : How to give notice           reply
14/05/2014 21:53 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
OMG why would you tolerate this?? Sit down asap with the parents and TELL them you are not willing to tolerate this behaviour anymore. Also say that your day ends at certain time and anytime over that will be charged hourly rate or part of. I would not ever put kettle on while she´s there, do this as many times as you have to and eventually she´ll get the message. No money is worth upsetting your own child/family life. How would she like it if you went to her home and you and your son behaved like that. If you have kids ready and at door at collection time and she says they need something say stay there and i´ll get it. Sounds like you are way too soft for them so you need to stand firm and speak your mind, otherwise you are going to get all tense and anxious in yourself every time it gets near to collection time. I would also speak to the kids and tell them if they act that way one more time when they are leaving they will be punished the following day.Remember,its YOUR rules while in YOUR home. Let us know how you get on.

14/05/2014 20:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi beer older child 7 younger5 . Have tried having coats and bags ready but they still find some reason to have to come in. Children are very good with me and will tidy up any mess when I ask them but as soon as parents arrive they start wrecking place again. I am going to try sort it this weekend. I mind in morning before school 8. 50 and collect from school at 2.45 they are supposed to pick up at 5 .most day´s if they arrive on time they don´t leave til 5.30/5.40 and a lot of days they will drop at7.30/8 and not pick up til 6 . It is affecting our home life so I will probably have to give notice

14/05/2014 15:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, I had the same issue (kind of), parent arriving in and looking for a full chat on her stressful day, sitting down at kitchen table lovingly looking at the kettle.....
I decided to approach the situation by having child ready at the back door and then open the door preventing her from entering and letting child walk down the steps. there was always something: he needs a drink etc and she´d barge the way in.
I then abandoned this and resorted to having the child outside few minutes before collection time and once handed over, Id hit off down the far end of the garden. I unfort got caught a few times and ended up 15 minutes stuck in the hidden part of the garden as they never left the drive. From then on I said Iv taking up walking and would hit off up the road.
As for being late, once I parked outside my closed gate and did a swift handover and said Im late for an important appointment, the collection time has well past, a text would have appreciated. never happened again.
Equally with early drop offs, have had some 20 minute early drop offs....
It all comes with experience and def not letting people treat me like a doormat.
Do you do a contract with parents, Iv included in my dropping/collection time and equal this to the money charged. I dont have a late charge etc but others here do.

16/05/2014 15:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well done, you, so glad you were successful....only advice is stick to it forever as the parents may start to lapse here and there and then your back to sq one!!!! Obviously they value you as a carer for their kids and could see you are the best for their kids!!!! Great result!!!!

14/05/2014 18:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi how old are the children?what hrs do you mind them?its your house and your rules don´t let them wreck the place and give out to them and make sure the parent hears you,if parents are laughing its no wonder kids act up in front of them,when you say there late collecting have them at the door with their coats.In the mornings don´t answer the door to them and when you do say you were in the shower,if this doesn´t work than my next suggestion is to higher your rates and put down from the early drop to the late ccollection

discussion forum terms & conditions

;