Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Is it standard that childminders get paid even when the minded kids are on holiday etc

re... : Is it standard that childminders get paid even when the minded kids are on holiday etc           reply
20/07/2013 10:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
i agree.i was minding 3 kids(8/9/10 yrs) a couple of yrs ago.i dident get holiday pay.when they took them.i dident get paid.when they each took a week of.i was expexted to mind.at the drop of a hat..which i did.i never let them down .a freind asked .what they brought me back.from their holiday.i told her nothing.as i wasent expecting anything.she said even something small.just to show.their appriciation.they dident really show much of that.either did the kids.1 of the girls would drop things.and then shout.you can pick that up now.or they would order.you to get something from the fridge.1 of the boys.would call your name.then when you answer.he would say shut up.1 day.id had enough.i called the parents.and told them to come home.as im leaving.there was a major showdown.i told them what their kids were like.they though it was funny.saying did you really do that.and laughing.i was asked what my problem was with the kids.i told them.i wasent their slave.the response was.what are we paying u for.i told them.im going and not coming back.to this day. i hear that.they are finding it hard .to hold a minder.
im not a slave.and no one else should be treated as one.especially by kids.these days i walk in armed with a contract.
sorry for all that.

Is it standard that childminders get paid even when the minded kids are on holiday etc           reply
19/07/2013 21:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just got an offer of a new job and need to know if it needs to be brought up

Help please :)

re : Is it standard that childminders get paid even when the minded kids are on holiday etc           reply
19/07/2013 21:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Id bring everything up you can think of as starting on a right foot with a contact is the way to go.
I childmind term time but dont get paid for bank hols or holiday time (which Im happy with as I do get nice gifts at appropriate times of the year) but if I starting over again or indeed a new family this would be something Id look at closely as Iv become more experienced through being a childminder and reading here and other places.
If you dont ask, you dont get. However equally I agree if your too money grabbing one can lose out on a job.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;