Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Is my Rate increase reasonable ?

Is my Rate increase reasonable ?           reply
19/04/2011 10:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi looking for advice/opinion please.

I currently care for two children, one in playschool (collection at 12 - 6) and other in school (collection 2:50 - 6) for which I charge €170 per wk which includes dinner and cover for mid terms wks. (5 so far).

I am considering increasing my rate for the summer months as they will be here from 8:30 am to 6pm. What would be reasonable, considering I would be giving them snacks, drinks, lunch as well as dinner ?

Thanks for any feed back.

re... : Is my Rate increase reasonable ?           reply
19/04/2011 20:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Tks for reply.

I had agreed this amount last Nov as it was only ment to be for six months.... but then the fathers contract was renewed.

I would definately only be increasing the rate for summer wks and if and when they were to be on hols or summer camps obviously I would charge less.

re : Is my Rate increase reasonable ?           reply
19/04/2011 18:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
In my honest opinion, any extra hours required during school holidays, and consequently any extra charges for the parents, should all have been discussed BEFORE you agreed to mind the children. This would then be included in the contract both parties would have signed, leaving no-one in doubt about holiday arrangements, and guaranteeing parents of a lower rate after the school holidays.

I personally WOULD charge more (as i charge an hourly rate), but I would have discussed it in advance of entering into any agreement with parents, to make sure all parties were happy.

Good luck.

re... : Is my Rate increase reasonable ?           reply
22/04/2011 10:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Totally agree, you need to charge extra for the summer months. Good luck.

re : Is my Rate increase reasonable ?           reply
19/04/2011 16:45 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Bear in mind that the kids parents wages will not be going up during the summer and if you have a good relationship with the parents I´d think twice. A lot of people are under huge financial strain at the moment. You would have to reassure the family that you would be reducing your rate again in Setember.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;