Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Just a thought

re... : Just a thought           reply
01/01/2014 18:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
theres an add up at the moment.2 kids minded in own home.55 euro a day.basically 6 euro an hr.light house work involved also.i wish people would state what house work they want doing.some people want everything done.cleaning.ironing bins in and out.i did it.and it started as.loading and unloading dishwasher.it ended up i was cleaning the whole house.and putting the dinner on.doing laundry.some parents want a minder. cleaner and a cook.cleaners are 8/10 euro an hr.

re : Just a thought           reply
30/12/2013 18:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hiya I am a mam of three children. I would absolutely love to be able to pay the rates to hire a registered childminder who would know what to do with my children, how to teach them the important life lessons that I know they need. It absolutely kills me to leave them and I would give anything to be able to hire someone who would be actually helping me to parent and who would be providing support as I know that this is what registered childminders do. Frankly I cannot pay the rates- I am a single mum, recently separated, having a nervous breakdown because the rent and the childcare costs add up to my full monthly salary (three is a lot of children to have minded) I have looked at every option and I have none. I have when I did have the money for a minder paid holidays of 6 weeks during the school term and a retention rate over the summer, I always paid when the kids were sick and always paid bank holidays. The issue is as far as I can see that there is no tax credit for childcare, if there was then I would be able to work- as it stands I cannot afford to work, don´t know what I am going to do but I tell you I truly appreciate the work you do and do not wish to leave my children with an unqualified, unregistered person

31/12/2013 15:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi there.some do declare.and some dont..5 euro for 1 child is quite a good deal..no matter what.declared or not.minders also need to cover the petrol usage..i know a lot of minders who dont charge for petrol.and i know a few parents who dont want to pay petrol usgage.i know a couple of parents who will offer 2 euro an hr.for 1 child.because they think its cash in the pocket.thats not always the case.

30/11/2013 12:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i totally agree with this.
back in september gone.the people i worked for.cut my pay by 20 euro.with out consulting me.i originally .gave them a very good discount.so i really dident think they would have done that.but they did.i brought it up.the following week.the parents said they would talk about it.the next day.they said nothing.i had to bring it up.anyway.they said.they couldent afford it.but the funny thing was.the mother had recently got promoted.and was now on a lot more money.i wasent asking for hundreds.just for that 20 euro to stay in place.anyway.i told them it wasent worth my while.i bent over backwards for them.even in the summer holidays.i was meant to start at 1.30.but ended starting at 11 oclock.i got no thanks for that.sometimes during the holidays.i wouldent be needed once or twice a week.due to one of their own parents taking them.and that was usually.very last minute.dident get paid for that either.i dident get paid.for any day.they decided to take of.they dident care.at all.

30/12/2013 21:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hello all.happy new yr.
qualifications dosent mean everything.when i hired a minder.i went with the person. with the real experience.i hired a mother of 4 boys.she wasent qualified .but hads more experience.than most qualified minders.i knew.but saying that.there is a lot of qualified.minders.who have that same experience.gut instict.comes into it aswell.

02/12/2013 19:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Good for you. It´s nice to hear a parents reply and great to know you understand a days work is a days work no matter what the profession. At the end of the day everybody has bills to pay and everybody deserves the appropriate pay, terms and conditions for their hours of work. It´s lovely to know there are decent parents out there.

02/12/2013 15:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi all, I have just registered with the site after reading your posts. I´m a working mam and have a wonderful childminder who comes to my house to mind my 5 year old and 2 year old. I believe I treat her fairly... I pay her for bank holidays, when I take time off and fully for the two weeks over the xmas break! I would´nt dream of cutting her money without discussing it first (I would´nt do it full stop). They are my most treasured possesions so of course I want to make my childminder feel appreciated and well thought of so she will appreciate my babies!! As you said some parents seem to think childminders should do it for pittance! Just wanted you to know there are some goodies out there xx

02/12/2013 22:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
lols you sound like 1 of the good ones.theres a lot more out there like you.there not all like the people i got.

31/12/2013 13:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am currently looking at the possibility of engaging a childminder. I do agree that all workers should be treated with respect and receive fair pay. However the average cost of €800 per month for one child is quite a lot of after tax income for most people myself included. Perhaps all the child minders could reply with an answer to the one question I have: Do you declare your income from child minding for tax purposes?

05/01/2014 12:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If I paid my childminder the same than I am paid, given the fact that she would have to be minding my child before I start work and I would only pick him up after I have finished, her wages would exceed mine by around one hour per day... How on earth am I supposed to be able to afford that ?

01/12/2013 12:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i doubt you will get a reply.i put up a post before.about how much they think would be a good.hrly rate for 1 child.and so on.there was no response.doodly.you seemed to have gotten.a bad deal.to cut your money.and not discuss is wrong.was it one child you were minding.

01/12/2013 01:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Tnx for the replies girls but I am still waiting for a reply from the parents. They are usually quite vocal and have plenty to say when it comes to slating the job and terms and conditions of the childcare worker.

30/11/2013 14:53 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well said. I really think parents expect their childminders to work for nothing. I was wirking in a position where I was offered €60 per day to mind four children in their own home. I asked for€80 per day and we eventually agreed on €70. After working for a few weeks I began to think that it wasn´t worth it. I wasn´t getting holiday pay bank holidays etc so I asked for €10 per hour fir the hours I worked and I think she thought I was off the planet. Needless to say I left that position and am still looking for another but I´m sure I will eventually get an employer that will appreciate what I do for them

Just a thought           reply
30/11/2013 09:03 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Kilkenny)
To all who are employed on this site. Did you study for your profession?did you put your heart and soul into your career?do you turn up for work on time every day and often go above and beyond your hours and duties? Do you get paid minimum wage, above or below? Do you get holiday pay, bank holiday pay and sick pay? Are you entitled to paid maternity leave? Do you feel after a hard days work that you are appreciated?... Now look back at your answers.. Now think about how you treat your childminder/nanny. If you feel she has trained hard, works hard and cares well for the most important people in your lives, then just think about how you treat her and ask yourself is it fair. Does she get a similar contract of work that you recieve. If not then you are exploiting her, you are treating her like a second class citizen, promoting slave labour, disrespecting her profession and not caring much about the welfare of your child. Not everyone works off a good contract e.g self employed etc but all I ask is you treat your childcarer with the same kind of treatment you expect from your employer.

30/11/2013 17:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i have fetac level 5 and 6 .up too date first aid 2o year exp .i am registered with
hse and pay tax, insurance ect......i find parents read this in my adds and this puts them off ,it seems parents want anyone that will do it for as little as
2euro per hour .this is a child not a dog in fact think dog minders get paid more.
contracts well that makes them run a mile......
i have 3 lovely familes with me at min and i can say its fair play with them, so not all parents are same.......

01/01/2014 15:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i can understand both sides.but i wouldent expect a minder.take anything under 200.(40 euro a day.5 days a week)especially.if she is taxed.sometimes minders buy.arts and crafts materials.out of their own money.its up to the parents.to negotiate a good deal.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;