Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Montessori Deposit Refund?

Montessori Deposit Refund?           reply
15/05/2018 15:27 - Announcements (Locality: Kildare)
-----------------------------------
Hi all,
My little girl was attending a montessori and by November i asked to meet the teacher as i had no feedback and no idea how she was doing. There also seemed to be teachers leaving on a regular basis. I said I was unsure whether my little girl would attend Montessori next year yet but I would let them know. By January there was a huge turnover in staff and my little one was saying she didnt like it there, and also complaining of the cold there. I decided that i would loom elsewhere and i found another place that seemed much more friendly. I gave 4 weeks notice and moved her over. The old Montessori are refusing to refund my €200 deposit. Both the KCC and the DYCA inform me that I am entitled to my deposit back but I can barely get the Montessori to return my calls. Very frustrating, has anyone encountered this before?

re : Montessori Deposit Refund?           reply
15/05/2018 17:23 - Announcements
Any deposit you pay must be repaid to you by the end of October of the year your child starts, this is an ecce rule (unless its changed, google it).
Alot of preschools are stretched so perhaps they are waiting for funding to come through. Especially if theyve no private fee paying children. If youv exhausted all avenues with them, there is always the threat of the small claims court. Management must be a problem that this has occurred and youv note high staff turnover, skimping on heat etc.

re... : Montessori Deposit Refund?           reply
16/05/2018 17:38 - Announcements
Thanks for your reply. I´m getting nowhere with them, maybe in will have to go down the small claims court route. I know other parents who haven´t received their deposit back either. It´s disgraceful. Pity there isn´t a website to "rate my Montessori". I would warn others against getting involved with them.

18/05/2018 17:05 - Announcements
Maybe you should name n shame that Montessori on this site to inform n warn others about the way they are running this facility

22/05/2018 12:30 - Announcements
Hi -as the previous poster stated it is a requirement under compliance for ECCE settings to return the deposit within 60 days of the child being registered.
They are in breach of this and as you stated its not just you - I would suggest sending a final warning letter to the service and inform them that if you do not hear from them within 14 days you will be making contact with the Department of Children and Youth Affairs to report them for this breach.
Its nearly the end of the ECCE term and all ECCE funding they would have received by now so theres no excuse. They shouldn´t have even spent the deposits in the first place - if indeed that is there issue
childcare@dcya.gov.ie
Tel:(01) 647 3000
http://www.dcya.ie
Department of Children and Youth Affairs
43-49 Mespil Road
Dublin 4
Ireland

22/05/2018 14:05 - Announcements
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately after speaking to both DCYA and KCC, they both advised me that he need a to refund the money. They also told me that they have advised him of the same, but ultimately that have no control. My only option now is the Small Claims Court. At this point, it´s not just the €200 deposit, but the principle. People can´t be treated that way. The DCYA said they have never come across another Montessori to behave in this way. It´s a shame that they have no power though!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;