Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Moving from California to Cork

Moving from California to Cork           reply
09/04/2009 06:15 - Miscellaneous (Locality: Cork)
-----------------------------------
Hello,
We plan to move to Cork. But I am worry about my 14 years old son. Here they start to learn a second foreign language in High school which will be his next year. But in Ireland they should pass an exam in English, Irish and French or German at the end of Junior Cert year which will be I believe next year for my son. How can he learn Irish and another foreign language for one year?

re... : Moving from California to Cork           reply
13/04/2009 15:07 - Miscellaneous
Another possibility is that you may be able to get an Irish Exemption, as already stated. Instead of Irish, given that he is already fluent at Russian, it would be a shame not to use this. I have looked on the Junior Cert timetable and don´t see it as an option for Junior Cert but it is an option at Leaving Cert Level. That could change next year though.

14/04/2009 18:14 - Miscellaneous
If you are concerned about the whole move, there are companies that help families moving and source information, accommodation for them. There is obviously a fee involved. With you doing your homework so early, though, I don´t think it should be necessary in your case.

10/04/2009 18:40 - Miscellaneous
All our family is coming for the first time, my husband will do a research at UCC. My son is fluent in English and Russian.
And as he will go to a 2nd year of Junior Cert do you think he will be ready to learn for two years French or German or Spanish and pass the exam of the foreign language.
Thank you

13/04/2009 15:02 - Miscellaneous
Just looking over your posts again. If/when you decide which school you are choosing and you have decided on the language/s your son will be doing (probably French), you could always buy some DVDS or simple introductory French courses that he could be following in the meantime or even during next summer so that he would not be totally lost when he starts. Many of the 1st Year textbooks are easy enough to follow and are explained in English as well as French, so you could try that also. At least then, your son would have a start made if you are worried about the language.

re : Moving from California to Cork           reply
10/04/2009 18:07 - Miscellaneous
As mentioned in my other post, your son may be entitled to an Exemption from Irish. Was he in Ireland for any of his earlier education or is he coming to school in Ireland for the first time?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;