Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Moving to Ireland for a year

re... : Moving to Ireland for a year           reply
16/04/2009 16:06 - Introduce Yourself
-----------------------------------
There seems to be 8 regular primary schools in Kilkenny as well as a Gaelscoil where the bulk of the teaching would be through Irish. Given the ages of your children, that probably wouldn´t be practical. Most of the schools are single sex but there is at least one co-ed primary school. If you google Schools in the Dicese of Ossory, they should come up for you.

16/04/2009 18:26 - Introduce Yourself
thanks Colm

16/04/2009 00:42 - Introduce Yourself
We are from USA

16/04/2009 16:29 - Introduce Yourself
8? I think you mean 80.
http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Kilkenny

And secondary schools will be relevant too for the older kids,
http://www.schooldays.ie/secondary-schools-in-ireland/Kilkenny

Moving to Ireland for a year           reply
15/04/2009 20:53 - Introduce Yourself (Locality: Kilkenny)
Hello
We are the Doyle’s, Bill, Audrey, Kelby 10, Phelan 8, and Liam 6. We are looking for primary schools for the kids and would like help. The grades they will be going into are 6th for Kelby, 3rd for Phelan and 1st for Liam. We are looking to be directed to the general curriculum for those grades and schools in the Kilkenny area. This is very exciting for us as my great grandparents were from the Dublin area and we have never to Ireland.
Hope to meet some of you this summer as I came over to set up everthing for the Family.

[IMG]/schooldays.nsf/(Uploads)/JCCC-7R5SGZ/$File/Me and the family small.jpg[/IMG]
Bill Doyle
1-207-838-5366

16/04/2009 20:56 - Introduce Yourself
Best of luck on the move! How did you decide on Kilkenny? You seem to be enthusiastic about the move which is fantastic. Enjoy the planning. You´ll find people to be helpful when you arrive. Most important things for you to arrange are schools and accommodation. You could try looking at rental agencies to get an idea of prices. The summer time should be a good time as some of the rental properties will become vacant then.

re : Moving to Ireland for a year           reply
15/04/2009 23:45 - Introduce Yourself
That is so exciting for you. Hope all works out really well for you. I´m afraid I´m not from Kilkenny so I can´t help you out with schools. The one thing I should mention to you, as I am familiar with other American families who have come to Ireland, is the grade numbers are different over here. It can cause some confusion initially. Perhaps you have already researched this but your eldest is 10. When will he/she be 11? You mentioned 6th. Just to mae you aware that 6th Class and 6th Grade are not the same. Most of the children are 12/13 when they finish 6th class.
In Ireland, Primary School takes 8 years. We start with Junior Infants, then Senior infants and THEN 1st Class .... Hope that is of help to you. You can discuss it with the school you choose and I´m sure they will advise whatever is the most sensible. Good Luck.

15/04/2009 23:48 - Introduce Yourself
My apologies. I assumed you were moving from America because of the grades you mentioned. Perhaps, having read your post again, you could be from Canada or elsewhere. What part of the world are you coming from?

16/04/2009 18:25 - Introduce Yourself
Yes you are right and thank you very much this is very helpful

16/04/2009 17:24 - Introduce Yourself
I was just talking about Kilkenny City and counting schools with a Junior and Senior school as one. I know that every village right around the county, from Kilmoganny to Windgap and so on, has its own school in addition to these but assumed that the Doyles would probably be basing themselves in, or around, Kilkenny City.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;