Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

New to Cork - Best Primary Schools Where - what about CBC

re... : New to Cork - Best Primary Schools Where - what about CBC           reply
02/05/2010 18:42 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi Cait. Just thought it might help if I bumped up some older threads about schools in Cork that I saw last year. My son is in Glasheen and we´re very happy with it. I´m afraid I don´t know anything about St. Anthonys.

re : New to Cork - Best Primary Schools Where - what about CBC           reply
01/05/2010 16:24 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I know that in the past, many of the teachers there were not qualified. Not too sure about the situation now.

re... : New to Cork - Best Primary Schools Where - what about CBC           reply
07/05/2010 16:45 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Do you mean St Anthony´s in Ballinlough? My son went there for 5th and 6th year and we were very pleased with it. The teachers are excellent and the principal is on the ball, knows every child and family and never misses a trick. What part of Cork do you plan to live in? The distance to the school and the early morning traffic shouldn´t be underestimated.

10/05/2010 20:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I agree with BizzieLizzie. Glasheen boys is a super school. Glad your son is continuing to do well. All the boys I know have gone on from Glasheen to Colaiste an Spiroid Naomh (not sure of spelling) which is the school most of Glasheen boys have gone to, including my brother who went there in the late 1980s. Thats also a very good school and is not fee paying.

10/05/2010 12:29 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just to say, my son went to St Anthony´s last year and a lot of his year have gone on to Rochestown College - a very good school too and not fee paying.

New to Cork - Best Primary Schools Where - what about CBC           reply
29/04/2010 20:35 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Cork)
Hello

We are relocating to Cork this summer and would like to move near to a good primary school but are unsure where they are. Also confused as to whether to apply for CBC prepartory - is it worth the money or not?

01/05/2010 20:50 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks for view on CBC. Is there anywhere you´d recommend ? Seen from other sites that St Anthony´s in Ballincollig is quite good (My son is 4 this June) or Glasheen Boys School?

Would also be great to hear from anyone that has sent their son to CBC.

re : New to Cork - Best Primary Schools Where - what about CBC           reply
04/05/2010 00:17 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Hi,
i would recommend Gaelscoil Uí Riada in Bishopstown.
It is an amazing school with brilliant teachers.

08/05/2010 00:06 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
The point I made in my last post was that the fact my kids settled so well in Cork was down largely to the fact that they settled so well in the school (with which we are extremely happy). I chose not to identify the school but having reviewed the thread, I notice that other contributors are identifying particular schools and praising them. As a result, I think it only fair that I should mention that my kids attend Glasheen Boys school which is excellent. We couldn´t be happier with a school so from our point of view, I would be more than happy to recommend it.

04/05/2010 18:21 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Seeing as you mentioned a few schools, I couldn´t speak higher of Glasheen boys school. Its a truly gorgeous school and the teachers are outstanding. The school is performing very well academically and in quiz competitions and all sorts of sport. They have tremendous facilities. Pm me if there is anything I have omitted.

06/05/2010 10:37 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Sorry Cait. I just wrote on another thread but meant to write on your thread. I wanted to say that I too was new to Cork but my kids have settled very well. Like you, I knew nothing about the schools in the area. I had some very good recommendations for the school I ended up sending them to and it certainly hasn´t disappointed. The fact that the kids have settled so well I put it down almost entirely to the school. Hope it all works out for you.

10/05/2010 09:24 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
When choosing a primary school, you also need to look at the big picture and where you would like your DS to go to secondary school.
My DS went to Glasheen, a very good schoool, and he and all of his friends went on to Deerpark together. I think a few boys in the class also went to to Colaise Stiofain Naofa.
My sister´s DS is in St. Anthony´s. It is an excellent school but, most of his school friends are going to either Christians or Presentation College next year and these are fee-paying schools which my sister cannot afford. Only a few of his friends are going with him to Rochestown College.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;