Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Paying too much?

Paying too much?           reply
09/07/2017 09:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
I have an 18 month old little girl who is minded once a week in the childminder´s own home (she has three older children). We drop her over at 9am and I collect her at 4pm, so seven hours. I provide all meals and snacks, also bought a highchair, car seat etc too. We pay 60 euro which at the time seemed reasonable when I saw that Dublin childminders tend to be around 10 euro an hour but now I realise that was often with meals etc included...

Is 60 too much? It seems like it is now that I´ve read more about it! (It´s a private childminding arrangement although she is Garda vetted)

re : Paying too much?           reply
09/07/2017 11:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Its approx €5 an hr for an insured childminder... That figure is roughly from surveys by county childcare committees and childminding Ireland. As cmers are self employed they can charge what they please, some can afford charge higher based on quality they offer.
As its only one day a week the childminder needs the rate to be higher to make it worth while...is your child really happy and progressing in her care...can you afford to lose her..equally though can you afford to pay the €60...the lack of insurance though for such a high rate would be an issue for many though...its free on her house insurance.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;