Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

SO ANNOYED!!!

re... : SO ANNOYED!!!           reply
13/09/2012 23:04 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
I am so annoyed too!! A lot of parents just think of how they might save a few euro on the childminding... "We are delighted with you..but dont want to pay bank holidays...or mid-term; Next year I might want to take 4/6 weeks unpaid leave, couldn´t pay you if we don´t need you!!"
Marianxx

18/09/2012 15:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, really dont understsand why any of the comments would put you off as everyone (including you )is agreeing that 5 euro per hour is a fair rate. Why is it when a childminder ( who has qualifications which has cost them to get) in their chosen profession has a rate do parents make them feel like they are being greedy or selfish? yes we love children and yes we want to provide quality care but it wouldnt happen in any other profession. Think about it "yes i am a doctor and i have a passion for curing people so i wont charge you 60 euro today but 20" " yes i am a teacher i love to educate our youth so i´ll take 30 euro a day" think about it.......it is a well known fact that cleaners get paid more than childminders. it says so much about us as a society that we hold the people who mop our floors in higher regard than those who care for our children during their most tender years. genuinely hope you find a childminder who you and your children are happy with and best of luck with your pregnancy.

07/09/2012 12:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
these parents arnt going to get a minder any cheaper than 40 a day for 1 child
these people wouldent put 40 euro petrol into there car and then ask the attendent to take 30
sometimes i can understand it if its a person on there own with a child.but when it comes to 2 people working and complaining about the price.thats the way it normally is.its normally a couple who complain.

27/08/2012 10:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
5 euro is what it is.these people want things for nxt to nothing.most minders provide food aswell.u should mention that food dosent come cheap.if u have to use ur car for drop ofs and pick ups then u could be undercharging..there very lucky the celtic tiger isent still prowling around.if he was.those parents would be paying up a lot more.......back then people were paying 10 euro for 1 child and 15 for 2 kids.a freind of mine had the same problem before.. she had to use her car for drop ofs and pick ups for there 2 kids both got dropped of at the same time.but got picked up at different times.3 miles to the school and 3 back.so 18 miles a day..she charged them 50 euro extra a week for petrol coverage.some people might think thats a lot but its not.not for that sort of millage.the parents dident want to pay for petrol .she charges them 220 plus 50 euro petrol a week.the parents pick them up at 8 30 oclock.they had the nerve to ask if she would drop the 50 euro.petrol coverage
as 220 should cover everything.she told then no.they thought they were smart ending things with her.weve heard they are still looking for a minder.no one will take them on at 220.
she is now looking after a lone parents child..125 euro a week. plus 20 euro petrol costs as his school is nearer. he gets picked up at 1.30 goes and home at 6.30.this parent has never complained she has said i hope im paying u enough.and she also pays for holidays and bank holidays.the little fella gave her a gorgeous present at christmas as well

re : SO ANNOYED!!!           reply
25/08/2012 17:31 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
No, your prices sound spot on to me!!!

20/11/2012 09:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I think this is the route of the problem that people think that a childminder is a cheaper alternative to a creche in most cases it is especially when you have two children, I wish people would change these thoughts a childminder is just a choice you have and some people dont like a creche they prefer a childminder it is a highly responsible job to take care of anyone´s child.

15/11/2012 14:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi Francie, totally agree I even now dread getting a phone call from people who are looking for childcare, number the hours being expected to work or that someone would have no problem doing those hours have been asked to work as late as 6.45pm just cant believe it and then the rate that people seem to think is good enough to pay for in most cases a 10 hour day and be there for me when i need you, they think that just because they are giving you 5 days work that you should be grate full but dont let them down, dont be sick feel after 13 years of childcare that maybe my time is coming to an end doing this job, and i know there are alot of nice people who appreciate there childminder and another thing this give a price before they even see you or your home and then tell you oh i can get it for cheaper and maybe just totally browned off at moment.

19/11/2012 15:05 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yes i understand your are on low pay,but why do you feel a childminder
should be paid less ,we are both doing a job.i need what i earn too my friend.

16/11/2012 23:39 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yes your so so right,like its not a job.
regards

13/09/2012 15:53 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I have to agree with you.... I am so frustrated here so I am with the way childminders are undercutting each other.... my rate was always €40 per day and any queries I get from parents they are telling me that they are being offered childcare for 30 euro and as little as €25!! This is ridiculous and so frustrating do the childminders who offer to do it for this amount not realise they are de-valuing the job that is being done..... also the childminders that will do it for a pittance are usually minding children for several families at the one time to make up the difference! We all have bills to pay and things are tight but, come on if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!!

20/11/2012 14:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yes agree with greer. i have no children i chose to do childcare because i love
working with children.i find the job very rewarding.i have had a child in my care
from age 3mths to 16years and another for 5years. its only works if both partied respect each other and play fair.
regards

18/09/2012 20:09 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Nope they are perfect prices even below minimum wage! these parents know that they have the monopoly on the market and expect you to go lower but there has to be some dignity! especially when your experienced and qualified. It seems to be all about money for some parents and less about getting a suitable minder that their children warm to.

15/11/2012 16:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
do you mean west of ireland or west dublin .i´m in west dublin. i charge 55euro a day. i´m paid when parents go on holidays full rate and half if i go on holidays.i have fetac 6 and haacap, first aid, i´m registered bla bla .........what i find is that a minder in your estate or area sometimes sets the prices......ie chat. I agree minding someone´s child is a big responsibility and i never will understand why parents be-grudge paying.i do not clean my house or my shopping while i mind,i just do my job.its a job to me so pay an honest rate is all i ask parents. childminders need to talk to each other and not see other childminders as rivals. united we stand, networking .
regards my friends.

16/11/2012 09:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Had and enquiry yesterday wanted 3 days a week 8.am till 6.30 and didnt expect to pay when they are sick, holidays or random days off, really the just want someone on hold for when they need care. Firstly most creches seem to close at six and if in a creche they pay 52 weeks in the year, 2 creches near my home shut for 2 weeks in the summer and another shuts for a week at easter full monthly fees paid. Childminders its take by some parents that they feel they dont have to pay, they get one to one care in a warm home with plenty of love and attention.

16/11/2012 09:42 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi All, I m talking as parents side .. All of u complain about rate etc.. can I just said that maybe there are parents that cant afford to pay 8/9 or 10 euro an Hour !!! parents that are working on minimum wages have no family around and they choose childminders as possible cheap way to go to work !!!!! Paying cheap rate does t mean that parents are not caring about them children, does t mean that they don t wont a safe place for own child !!!
I M WORKING FOR A 9 EURO PER HOURS HOW CAN U EXPECT I CAN PAY 8-9 OR 10 euro HOURS TO A CHILDMINDER ??!!!! IT S BETTER FOR ME TO STAY HOME THEN OR NOT ???
FRUSTRATED PARENTS

SO ANNOYED!!!           reply
25/08/2012 13:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi, can anyone tell me what the going rate is in the west? in the past month i have had numerous parents tell me i am overcharging. i charge 40 a day and 5 an hour, really thought that was average. the same parents wouldnt blink if they were charged 140 for a hairdo, car service, night out etc but when it comes to providing qulity care they want someone to spend 8 hours caring for their child for 30, sorry for the rant but i have been offended once to often! parents remember you get what you pay for!!!!!!

16/11/2012 10:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i can understand both sides.but at the end of the day.a lot of parents dont want to pay a fiver an hr.and theres a lot of minders charging way to much..if a parent wont accept that its five euro an hr well thats there problem.and the same goes for minders charging way over the odds.so if a minder asks for more than there due.all the parent has to say is no.and if the minder is offered under a fiver an hr all she has to say is no.... simples

18/11/2012 22:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
So after reading all the above...I am a parent looking for a childminder for three kids - school goer, preschool goer & baby - no drops to school/preschool, just collections from. I need childminder from 8am - 5.30pm - How much do I pay? we are leaving in cork

14/09/2012 07:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
It is best to work it all out in advance, draw uo a contract, and then be firm about it. Sometimes this is a difficult thing for minders to ask for, particularly if they really need the job, and dont want to rock the boat at the start, but really its the best thing to do in the long run. Hope this helps

19/11/2012 14:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
best thing to do is talk with the childminder and work out a fair wage that
suits both of you.this makes for a good partnership and thats what counts
after all its good for the children to see parent and minder respect each other.
good luck

25/08/2012 20:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I fully agree with you on this!!!! I am so fed up with parents thinking that its ok to offer you as little as €3 per child!!!!They don´t seem to realise that most childminders are fully qualifed & have put a lot of time & money into getting their qualifications.... Some expect us to do 1 or more school pick-up´s with no thought of the extra cost of diesel/petrol we have to incur and also provide good quality home cooked lunch/dinner/snacks all for €3-€5 per hour!!!!! I went into childcare 10 years ago as I love caring for children but to be honest with the offers I´ve got recently I´m thinking about giving up on it... At the end of the day we are looking after what should be the most precious things in their life. We care for children at the most crucial years of their lives, offering them a happy, loving & safe family environment. Parents need to ask themselves would they work for this amount??? I understand they have mortgages/bills/loans to pay out each week/month but so do childminders!!! Sorry for taking over you rant but I feel where your coming from.

07/09/2012 11:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Here, here. Cannot understand parents who seem to focus on getting the cheapest childminder available and I am speaking from experience, had a parent recently say "well you are qualified and your home is exactly what I´m looking for but there is another cm charging less so I´m going to go with her" I know my worth and like other posters charge 40e a day or 5e an hour. If a parent is looking for a childminder its fairly safe to assume they themselves are working so at the very least getting minimum wage but have what can only be considered cheek to expect cms to work for LESS than HALF the MINIMUM wage! btwI have been on all sides, I was a student who worked weekends to pay my cm 10e to mind my 2 kids while I studied and now I am a cm I come across parents who dont seem that interested in your experience, qualifications, skills, policies etc just how little they will have to pay, of course I understand full well the financial difficulties everybody is facing these days but parents seem to forget that cms have this pressure too.

18/09/2012 13:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Some of the comments on here would really put me off looking for a childminder on here. I am not working at the moment, but need help with my young daughter as I am in the late stages of a difficult pregnancy (assorted medical issues) and have no family to help. I have frequent hospital and doctor appointments at this stage and it is very difficult to attend these and to get anything done. I would also like to have a minder in place for when the baby arrives.
I have no problem paying a fair rate, but am not sure why I am generally quoted at least ten euro an hour to mind one child when I know the going rate (at least in Dublin) is five euro an hour. I queried with one girl why she was charging eur12 per hour. I genuinely wondered if she had something that other minders didn´t and I got quite a rude reply saying she was worth it and you get what you pay for. No mention of why she was worth it, qualifications etc.!

discussion forum terms & conditions

;