Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

The School Rules / Spitting at the teacher

The School Rules / Spitting at the teacher           reply
07/11/2013 13:05 - Parents Associations (Locality: Cork)
-----------------------------------
Recently, I was discussing a set of proposed rules for the local National School with a teacher and she told me about been spat upon by a pupil, I think that it terrible that this would happen. It reflects a lack of respect for teachers, but why would this happen to a teacher?

Unfortunately, at the local National School the Board and the Principal have abused their position have both been dishonest and excluded Parents from information their entitled too (their rights). Historically and anecdotally a few Schools have been doing abusing their position and getting away with it, for many years, reflected in some other postings on this site. This contempt for Parents is been discussed by Parents sometimes in front of their school going children. So, the children then could inadvertently get the impression its ok to be disrespectful to teachers.

So I asked the teacher what would she would she do if the child is persists in spitting. She told me she would discuss it with the child’s Parents. I wonder realistically how much support would the local National School will get from Parents?

Here are a few of the proposed School Rules:

3) Pupils should show respect to:
a) Teachers and other adults, address them in a respectful manner at all times, hold doors open, stand back etc…
b) Other pupils, giving fair play and being attentive to needs of others.
c) Their property, the property of others and the environment.

4) Any behaviour that interferes with rights of the others is unacceptable.

Regrettably, I find it hard not to see the hypocrisy in proposing such rules in the local National School given the school’s manner of dealing with Parents even if I do thing as a whole it good idea to implement such rules and teachers ought to warrant respect given the difficult job they have to do.

re : The School Rules / Spitting at the teacher           reply
07/11/2013 14:45 - Parents Associations
-----------------------------------
Sorry that last line should read - “even if I do think its good idea to implement such rules and teachers ought to warrant some respect given the difficult job they have to do”.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;