Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Very cross baby

Very cross baby           reply
04/03/2019 11:16 - Westmeath Childminders
-----------------------------------
Morning ladies, this is the first time in 9 years minding I´ve needed advice. 
I have a 3 year old 2 days a week for the past 2 years, his parents asked me if I could take his 9month old sister, I agreeded to take her 4 days then reducing to 2 days when a place becomes free in the chreche her brother goes the 3 days he´s not with me. (I only take him 2 day´s as I´m full the other 3 day´s)
She started 1st week of Feb, she cried 7 hours a day for the 4 day´s and when I say cry I mean scream, then from the 2nd week she has been crying at least 4/5 hours a day. Mum is breast feeding and came during the day to feed her which I had to ask her to stop, I´d have her settled mum would arrive and she would then cry constantly for hours. She won´t take a bottle won´t spoon feed it´s just a complete nightmare. She will eat finger food, fruit pot or yogurt but it´s a struggle. When I try to get her to take a bottle I´ve noticed she can´t latch on it, mum has bought 4 different type´s but she goes into a fit of crying when she see´s it. I´ve also noticed when mum was breast feeding her here she wasn´t latching on her breast, she only sucks the very top of her nipple. One day mum proceed to tell me she sucks on her breast for hours at night, she is using it as a soother or a comfort to sleep, mum also carries her around all day and I´m guessing most of the time on her breast.
She has a constant frown, if I play games or peep with her she is expressionless no smile or giggle nothing. Since she´s started I think I´ve seen her smile or laugh a hand full of time´s. I´ve tried everything to soothe her, music, walks, massage her you name it I´ve tried it. If I have her in my arms and walk to a different room she screams, try feed her she screams, change her nappy she screams it´s unreal.
I´ve asked how she is at home and they say she´s fine but I don´t think this is true!!! Another parent who´s kids I have know them and said they´ve only ever see her cry.
I´m totally drained when she leaves, I also have other children here I feel it´s distressing on when she screams constantly.
I´m worried could there be an underlying issue? Or is it just mammy´s breast she is looking for as her comfort all day? I´ve asked mum when is she going to stop breast feeding and she said when she´s a year old or maybe a little older...
I´m 9 years minding children of all ages, I´ve had demanding cranky kiddies but never ever at this level.
Have any of you ladies ever had such a cross baby? Or a baby with these feeding issues?
Anothet question, will a chreche keep her if she´s constantly crying?
I´ve a place coming free as a family are moving away and I´m between 2 minds weather I will offer them the permanent place!!! But I´m thinking would the spilt betweem me and a chreche distress her further?
I know mum & dad would jump at the permanent place of 4 days for her but I´m so unsure and worried about my other kiddies, also myself as I said I´m drained come 5.30 when she leaves. I am an extremely patient person and difficult children I take in my stride, I´ve have an austic boy here 8 years and he is so much easlier to manage than this little baby. She is here since 8am and I´ve only had 45 mins cry free and that was when she had a nap, no tears just screaming.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;