Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

advice needed on starting age of son going to primary school

re : advice needed on starting age of son going to primary school           reply
25/01/2014 23:34 - Introduce Yourself
-----------------------------------
if montessori teacher says keep him another year i would she is teaching
him also its not just about learning ,its about how he copes socially with the other children.montessori curriculum is two year program so your son will not do same thing if he stays for another year.
i sent my son at 5 and i am so glad i did, he was well able for the yard and
the toilet ect.
best wishes

re... : advice needed on starting age of son going to primary school           reply
26/01/2014 19:39 - Introduce Yourself
def dnt send him to school he be long enough at it

re... : advice needed on starting age of son going to primary school           reply
27/01/2014 15:42 - Introduce Yourself
Thanks to all for advice I will keep u posted x

re : advice needed on starting age of son going to primary school           reply
27/01/2014 15:33 - Introduce Yourself
hi,I was in the same predicament as you.my daughter was four in early April.Lots of people were saying she would be too young and to let her start at 5 and a half.i went with my gut after and sent her to school at four and a half.my daughter is getting on great and loves school.I felt in the end that she would not benefit from another year of playschool and would be bored with it.At the end of the day every child is different.there are some children in my daughters class that are not as mature or confident as she is and they are a full year older.If your child is happy with school and you think she is ready then do send her.Only you know your child well enough.Make sure whatever decision you make it´s the one your happy with and not based entirely on other people´s opinions on when you should send your child to school.good luck!!

20/02/2015 23:52 - Introduce Yourself
Hi Sharbabe,
I was told same with my daughter but she be 5 in July and she is so well learned from Montessori another year of same stuff might confuse him my opinion is if you think he able send him and best of luck
Claire

advice needed on starting age of son going to primary school           reply
23/01/2014 18:30 - Introduce Yourself (Locality: Dublin North)
Greetings to all, I am in a bit of a prediament my son turns 4 early apr we just received a letter this am about him starting school this sept. He will just be 4 and half. I feel i want to keep him in montessori for another year. My Husband thinks he will be bored doing another year and would like to send him to school. I have spoken to his montessori teacher she has said he would be better off doing another year with her. He is our only child he is very academic (I think anyway) he loves books, Maps great at doing jigsaws, matching pictures. Some of the children could be at least 6mths to a year older than him. Then also thinking ahead when going to secondary etc. Any advice out their. Oh what to do a bit stressed now Ta x x :wall:

discussion forum terms & conditions

;