Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

am I been paid too little?

am I been paid too little?           reply
25/01/2014 10:49 - Tipperary Childminders
-----------------------------------
I have been minding one child for €3 per hr for two years. I was asked to mind a second child from the same family for €50 per day.i have both children from 8am until 5.30pm.I provide breakfast,lunch dinner & snacks.i am now dropping one child to play school four days a week and collecting.this school run is out of my way and I don´t get paid fuel costs.i do not get paid for bank holidays or any other holidays that I or the parents take.I have Fetac level 5 in childcare and a vast amount of experience caring for children.I don´t know how to bring up that I feel I´m not getting paid enough.i mind these children in my own home.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

re : am I been paid too little?           reply
25/01/2014 22:15 - Tipperary Childminders
Hi im a minder in limerick city. I mind a baby 9mths old 5 days pw from 8.15 - 5pm and i charge 150e pw (30e per day) minding in my home. I was minding twins same age getting just 200e pw longer hrs not getting oaid bank hols and just took 3 wks unpaid leave per yr. This time round i insisted on payment for bank hols and u don´t get paid when u take hols but if the parents take extra time off outside my 2 wks summer , 1 wk xmas i charge Im not regestered so im limited to what i can charge but you were charging too little for the first child at the start. I had other kids that had to be dropped to playschool out of my area also and i had to pay petrol costs . Parents think by them going to a persons home not a creche they can take advantage but we let them. In fact theirr kids probably get more attentiin at ours with less kids running around. I never provide nappies wipes etc and some parents will provide snacks etc but we are expected to provide meals as i always do. Baby powdered food the exceptiin of coarse. You should sit down with the kids parents and voice how you feel say you would like petrol costs and bank holiday payment ,after all they must be happy with your service if they stuck with you for 2 yrs. My friends are regestered as they mind more than 3 kids and they charge full payment 52 wks of the yr usually charge on average 150-160e per baby per wk. Hope my life story was of some help best of luck

re : am I been paid too little?           reply
25/01/2014 22:18 - Tipperary Childminders
Sorry meant to say if its two kids and their siblings you usually get less than if the kids were from different families. I charge 30e per day each chikd but just 50e per day siblings

discussion forum terms & conditions

;