Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

future reductions?

re... : future reductions?           reply
27/01/2012 12:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
yeah your right there is a lot of greedy childminders out there.theres a recession on but some minders dont care.a lot of parents are on a tight budget.the way i see it is a parent and a minder can work out a decent fee to suit both sides

future reductions?           reply
15/01/2012 09:12 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
morning all,
I would be grateful of your advice. I currently pay €60 a day to have my two children minded from approx 8.15 to 4.45 my children are nearly 4 and 2. my daughter goes to montessori 5 days a week 3 hrs a day, She is starting in primary in sept, i presumed there would be some sort of reduction in price as she would be minded from 1.30pm but my current childminder said there would be no change. also we didnt really trash out details at the beginning but she had around 18 days paid holidays (and paid for any extra days i had off with the children and al bank holidays), but we dicussed holidays a few weeks ago and she wants 21 days paid holidays each year, which is all my holidays so if i ever needed a day off i would need to go unpaid from my own job. I am confused to be honest of what to do next, I dont want to move children but i dont think i can meet these requirements, i would love to, its not that i dont think she deserves it she does but its about circumstances. I always thought it both worked in our favour how things went, she left her job in a creche cause of her own childcare reasons, and i have recently found out that cause mine is in hand she is claiming what she can but now i have a feeling she thinks maybe she is undervalued? i dont know but things have changed a bit and i hate this tension all of a sudden. sorry waffling now. anyway any advice would be great thanks

re : future reductions?           reply
11/03/2012 14:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi there, I use to childmind prior to setting up my own creche, and as you are have a childminder in your own home, you should register as an employer, and pay your childminder at least the minimum wage, paye, and prsi deducted. I would be offering around €10 per hour, for two children and €12 for three. t sounds to me like you have looked after her very well, and that shouldnt be taken for granted. I was never paid for holidays as i worked for secondary school teachers who where off for 3 months of the summer, however i was paid for bank holidays. If you need more advice contact the citizen information and they tell you what the rates and entitlements are. €60 per day is what i charge in my creche, and it covers, all activities, food etc. I also charge for children who are in different montessori (not our own) as you are on call should the child become ill, or the school need you to collect the child, so that is understandable. In this day and age, i would be having a chat with your minder, and see can you discuss your worries, it cant be easy working together for the best for your children with the stress between you both.... after all the children will pick up on any tention Good luck ;)

20/01/2012 09:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i think what your minder is getting is very good.a lot of minders dont get paid for the holidays.i dident......... you should find someone who will suit your needs not the other way around.and yes she should be taking a cut in her pay.

16/01/2012 13:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi i have three children 5 year old boy 2 1/2 year old girl and 1 1/2 year old boy and i pay my childminder 75 a day two days a week from 745 to 5 .She minds them in her own home and has two kids of her own so would be doing the school run anyway.We had arranged from the start i would pay her for bank holidays and any holidays i took as i get paid for them but if she for any reason could not mind my children for one of the days i wouldnt pay her and if she wanted perticular holidays that didnt suit me i wouldnt pay her she will take hoildays when i do .Even when my children are on holidays from school the money stays the same .If you are not happy talk to her and tell her your worries and there are plenty of people who want to mind kids .You might even find someone else who suits your needs
hope this helps
carina

24/01/2012 21:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi there, Just sent you a PM..... Really hope it will be of some help to you. Greedy people everywhere!!!!!!!!

20/01/2012 19:05 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi most childminders don´t get paid for their holidays but only when the parent takes them. But most would get paid for bank holidays. I can understand if she does not want to reduce, the rate is very good for two children. One child would normally be around €5 per hour and a little reduction for second child. But if she is going to be responsible for collecting your child or bringing her to school and if she is point of contact when you are at work if your child is sick she would want payment for same. Also after school rates can be more expensive, and you would have renegotiate school holidays etc. I would definitely speak to her about paying for that amount of holidays (21) its a bit much! Maybe say 2 weeks and anything else is at her own expense. Best of luck with your discussions!

15/01/2012 11:25 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I have pmd you buzbee

22/02/2012 22:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Did you not sort all this out before you started minding the kids?
I used to love taking teachers children because it meant I had all the school holidays off with my step-children. Now they are bigger and off doing their own things with friends etc and my own are smaller, I don´t do it as having the money all year suits me better, but it´s something I would hope for again in the future. I would think it´s normal enough not to be paid for school holidays if you are minding for a teacher. Bank holidays are a different thing, if you are normally paid for Mondays, then yes, you should be paid for them.
However your daily rate sounds very low to me, that´s what I would be asking for more for. I´m in Dublin North rather than west, but around me, the rate is 40e a day for one child fulltime and 25e afterschool - you´re essentially minding the older child for free!

23/02/2012 21:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thanks for your reply. childminding was new to both me and the cm so we both have learnt a few lessons. in regard to pay if there is one thing i have learnt in the process of the last few weeks its that, everyone is different and every situation is different. I have found someone to suit my needs and i suit theres now and we have discussed everything and we are both happy and thats all that matters.

16/01/2012 20:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Carina thank you so much for your post it does help. Thank you

20/01/2012 19:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thank you so much for your replies, appreciate it, its great just to get others views, helps me understqnd how others do things, thanks again, have a great weekend ladies

discussion forum terms & conditions

;