Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

how much do I charge

re : how much do I charge           reply
24/09/2010 18:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
hello, I have just started minding and was not sure how much to charge, I am charging 25 euro a day and its a long day from 9-5

re... : how much do I charge           reply
30/09/2010 10:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi I sent you a PM

how much do I charge           reply
01/09/2010 14:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin North)
Hi I have been offered a job of minding 3 children under the age of 2 in their own home from 8.30 to 5.30 and was wondering how much should I charge

regards
Michelle

03/09/2010 09:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
well if they where to go into a creche its about 270 per week under 1 and 250 per week over 1, so i think you would need 500 per week.

01/09/2010 14:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
35 euro per day and take at least 2 - 3 kids

30/09/2010 10:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi I sent you a PM

09/09/2010 20:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
For minding 3 children under the age of 2 (which is hard work) l would charge 8/10 euro an hour which is the going rate :)

01/09/2010 17:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
At least 50 euro per day.

24/09/2010 22:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I recently organised a creche in Cork for my little man he´s 19 mths. It is €210 per week 7:00 - 6:00. We only need them from 8:30-3:30 but we have to pay for the full day as their sessions are from 7-1 and then from 2-6: any overlap of the two sessions is charged as a full day. (€15 charge for every 20mins a staff member has to wait after 6 too!!!) Food was included and all activity materials. The girls are all qualified in childcare and speak english as a first language. They use the highscope curriculum and have an open and a covered outdoor play for rainy days. They also charge 50% for holidays and we paid a two week deposit that´s not refundable if we leave within a year.

I would have been happy to pay the same for him to be minded in my home but would expect it to be less as there are less overheads and no middle man (or woman). I would also wonder what happens if the carer is sick...and what about holidays...would you expect to get something when the parents take holidays and don´t need you? Would you have to cook for the kids? What about your own lunch/coffee etc.?

For me the rate i´d be willing to pay would depend greatly on what you´d be doing with the kids...someone who plays and interacts, keeps the kids active all day, goes for walks etc. would be worth their weight in gold. Someone who would be able to collect from school later on would also be a plus...consistancy is important and i´d hate to be settling the kids with someone new in two years time when the eldest starts school.

If you can tick all these boxes and are exactly what the family wants....you are a better option than having the kids in a creche (no collecting, 1:2 rather than 1:5 or 6, naps/food can be specific to the family preferances, kids get to stay together despite different ages, you can still take the kids if they´re sick...the creche would not)... then you could ask for close to the creche price: €400 (that gives the parents €20 to cover meals that would have been included in the creche).
Keep in mind that you should get paid for holidays...as an employee you would be entitled to a minimum of 8% of your income. You may either build this in to your rate or ask for a percentage of your usual fee during the holidays.

TAX!!! -if you´ll be ´paid under the counter´ I would expect to pay less.

The new free playschool thing!! -will this affect you next year when the eldest is 3? You´d be able to drop off and collect -would they expect to pay you less then? I hada lady to collect my daughter after school and mind her for about an hour: €15/day.

Hope that info helps! :)

03/09/2010 19:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
35 per day is way to little and 500 a week way too much. 50 per day is about right but I would charge near to the 300 per week.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;