Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

long hours

re : long hours           reply
20/11/2012 15:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Hi I am minding similar hours (I mind from 7am to 5.15pm) and I agreed a rate of 80 euro a day for 3 children. I provide all food. Bring the older child to and from school and I also provide all the baby jars/ meals (parents tell me which ones though).
HTH

re... : long hours           reply
15/11/2012 12:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
can i ask what area you are in.regards

22/11/2012 19:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
the more i read these postings, the madder i get. i cannot believe parents expect to hand over their precious children to responsible, reliable and trustworthy people like yourselves , have them looked after , fed, watered, entertained , loved ,brought to and from school, for so little renumeration. do they not realise that you are totally responsible for their children, you look after them as if they were your own, clean, feed, calm them when they are upset, clean up after them when they get sick all over you and everything else for that amount of money? the lady who is getting €80 per day is getting a decent amount, but she should NOT be supplying food for free, and the parents should be paying for, or supplying the babies jars of food. im sorry ladies, but you are just not being appreciated enough.

27/11/2012 14:01 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Daisychains I suppose I never looked at it like that (the food I mean).I supply food always when minding but these children come so early (about 7am most days) that its different to other familes I have minded for as most would have dropped the children at 8am or there abouts after breakfast etc.
I feed them breakfast, snack, lunch,(Older child brings their own to school though) dinner , snack again (baby obviously does not have the same snacks , so jars/ pureed fruit / Rusks/ yoghurts would be supplied by me).
I agreed to 80 for the 10+ hour day which is 8 euro per hour, but when divided by 3 (3 children) is 2.66 per child per hour. However the older child is in school for 6 hours a day most days.
So it works out OK I feel for the parents also. (I get the same rate when the older child is on holidays / Off school for any reason also)
I suppose with the way the economy is everyone feels they need to drop their prices a little, but I think 30 for one child is really low.
Its such a responsibility though I hate to think that people feel childminders should work for such little pay!!

15/11/2012 12:20 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
your so right weewomen.well put .regards

24/10/2012 14:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
its usually 5 euro an hr

15/11/2012 09:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
im actually shocked with these rates, maybe its where ur located but i mind kids for 30 to 35 euro a day and thats the going rate for doin it in your own home where i´m from and i supply food aswell, i know its dearer if you do it in their house because u may have to do housework or drop off kids to school.

14/11/2012 23:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Are you kidding me ladies. I wouldn´t do it for less than €60-€65 a day. It´s 10 hrs. It´s not as if you can switch off for an hr for your lunch break. It´s a full 10 hrs. What really annoys me is people are handing over their most precious possessions and expecting to pay very little. It´s full on.

15/11/2012 12:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
thats far too low my friend .your minding a child not a dog. regards.

long hours           reply
24/10/2012 12:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i have been asked to mind a baby 6 months old from 7.45 to 5.45 mon to fri in my own house as i have a young child myself what price should i charge per week,thanks

27/11/2012 23:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi Rushmum, i have been involved with working with children from the time i left college many moons ago, and in all aspects of childcare, from residential to sna to childcare tutor, to pre-school teacher/creche manager to childminder, not necessarily in that order, but the people that i see as being the most under-valued and totally relied on are the childminders. if the parents want their little ones to be in the own environment, cosy in the surroundings that they are completely at home with, or in the home of the childminder, which they in no doubt will have visited prior to the children starting, and they obviously are happy with the minder, then they are completely reliant on, and trusting of, their minder,so why treat them as they do? as a minder i know that you can hardly get to go to the loo in case anything happens while you have your eye off the ball. You are doing an extremely time consuming, hands on, responsible job, which can sometimes be very lonely, for such little renumeration and recognition. maybe we should (childminders) join forces and be a force to be reckoned with? who else would work for less than the minimum wage? in the meantime, we will just smile, laugh, make playdough, wipe the snot and tears ,and scrape the crayon off our newly painted walls, and carry on cos we really do love what we do! let me know what you think! take care of yourself, cos if we go down, what would happen to the little ones?

24/10/2012 17:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi - usually €5 an hr, or daily rate of around €45 is the norm in Dublin. Some childminders might reduce this slightly for a full week. regards

14/11/2012 20:35 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i get 55 per day,8 to 6.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;