Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

scary discussions in the classroom

re... : scary discussions in the classroom           reply
12/03/2010 13:09 - Behaviour / Discipline
-----------------------------------
aww listen my son knows well that santa is real, and he didnt even take much persuading, i do tell him that the helicopters he sees are santa keeping an eye on all the children and the robin red breasts are watching the children aswell so he has to behave, sure hes already talking about his list for xmas so im not even worried about that, it was the other chat i didnt like, ive explained to my son that his friend shouldnt say things like that and i think he understands, we had a friend recently kill himself so my son was aware at the time but i dont think he fully understands, thats the way i want him kept, let him enjoy being a child god knows he will have enough worries when hes an adult, thanks for your replies.

12/03/2010 12:52 - Behaviour / Discipline
I think it is just another sign that kids don´t have a proper child hood anymore; they know about everything way too soon. I was about 12 before I knew what suicide was! Maybe I am just being old fashioned? still, it´s sad that they told your son about Santa so early. I hope you can convince him that he exists again! best of luck :)

28/11/2011 15:59 - Behaviour / Discipline
That really is scary when a four year old starts talking about things like suicide. I definitely don´t think that you are being old fashioned in thinking that that is not normal.
However, it does seem to be that the children of today are exposed to a lot more than we were at a young age.
In the past children lead much more sheltered "organic" lives whereas now it is very hard for the parents to have much control over what their children sees/hears. It is a shame but it is symptomatic of our C21st society.
4 years old though, that made me shudder!

12/03/2010 08:08 - Behaviour / Discipline
I think your right i should say it to the school, the boy in question will be at my sons birthday party so I will keep an eye on what he is doing / saying, its a terrible thing for a child to say though I was horrified when my boy said it

re : scary discussions in the classroom           reply
11/03/2010 16:28 - Behaviour / Discipline
4 year old children shouldn´t even know about suicide! i´d be concerned about the boy who told him that! scary stuff. definately worth a mention i think!!

scary discussions in the classroom           reply
11/03/2010 14:32 - Behaviour / Discipline (Locality: Dublin South)
My 4 year old son told me that a boy in his class tells them that if they go into the bathroom and kill themselves they will go to Batmans World. He has also been told about Santa.
I dont know whether to inform the school of this discussion or ignore it and put it down to childish behaviour, any suggestions??

discussion forum terms & conditions

;