Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

selective mutism

re : selective mutism           reply
24/03/2013 17:01 - Introduce Yourself
-----------------------------------
Hi, my daughter who is also 5 has selective mutism, she has seen speech and language therapist and psychologist. I would love if it was more common as people act like she is the first child ever with it. My heart is breaking for her and at times I feel my whole life revolves around it. Have never had any kind of contact with anyone else who has dealt with it and just wanted to reach out to someone and feel normal!!!

re... : selective mutism           reply
07/10/2015 15:47 - Introduce Yourself
Hi I have a 5 yr boy.He went through a whole year of montessori without speaking to an adult but would speak to peers.Now in Junior Infants and still not speaking,teacher keeps asking me for advice even though there is SNA in the room.I´ve spoken to my GP who´s advice was he will out grow it,spoke to my PHN she had to look it up as she had never heard of SM.now awaiting a appointment in November Psychology service.He now is withdrawn with grandparents, seems to getting worse,and now self harming.I´m lost I can´t help him,and I´m slowly losing faith in all,and myself.

08/10/2015 15:40 - Introduce Yourself
My daughter is 8 and this has been an issue since she was 4! She needed psychology and speech and language to get official diagnosis and then was referred to CAMHs- children adolescents with mental health issues- she is def a bit better but still does not talk in school or with aunts uncles cousins ! I would say get referral to speech and language as well as psychology! It´s a very long road but it definitely gets easier!! Best of luck pm me if you want to know anything else!

07/10/2015 17:59 - Introduce Yourself
hi guys,my son is 15 now but suffered from this for 3 years from age 4-7,a clinical psychologist worked with him in mallow co cork using a small steps program in conjuction with the school and now he is the same as any other child,i feel your pain as it is very rare.there is a uk based site called smira which is great,feel free to pm me

15/04/2013 12:42 - Introduce Yourself
hi my son who is 8 has selective mutism also, there is no specific treatment available in ireland , mostly america and uk . im asking for help for 4 yrs now and instead he was diagnosed autistic. there are no professionals trained in this field. its a nightmare. there is a website http://www.selectivemutismcenter.org/aboutus/Dr.Shipon-BlumintheMedia

they follow the s-cat method. it sounds interesting , is there anyone out there with any advice. feel free to call me as i desperately need support, maybe we can organize support group.
my email is vitoromy@hotmail.com
tel. 085/7270302

selective mutism           reply
12/02/2013 23:31 - Introduce Yourself (Locality: Louth)
Hi all i´m new to this site. I am looking to get in contact with another parent with a child with selective mutism. My son is 5 and only speaks at home or around familiar family members. Any bit of advise would be appreciated. He goes to speech therapy and has seen a psychologist. I would just like to speak to someone who has gone through it or is dealing with it at the moment. Thank you.

07/10/2015 22:06 - Introduce Yourself
The Selective Mutism Manual is excellent if you follow it step by step, and have patience. PM if you want.

26/11/2013 10:45 - Introduce Yourself
hi could you tell e how long you were waiting for speech and language thearpy are yo in the dublin area, thanks

25/04/2013 11:42 - Introduce Yourself
Hello I have a 6 year old who did not speak at all after starting school. School suggested that this was a problem at Halloween of Junior Infants. They recommended a book called The Selective Mutism Resource Manual by Maggie Johnson and Alison Wintgens . You work slowly through the steps. A lot of time and patience and commitment on parents´ part and a little cooperation from the school is required. Our child is now talking in class, still a little shy with adults and new situations. Big improvement by now - April of Senior Infants. I would recommend that book.

re : selective mutism           reply
13/02/2013 09:28 - Introduce Yourself
You might find this previous thread on our site useful - you could try contacting some of the contributors by PM
http://www.schooldays.ie/thread/Selective-Mutism-1006081734

28/12/2021 19:37 - Introduce Yourself
When children are unable to speak around certain people or in certain settings, they may have an anxiety disorder called selective mutism (SM). It is common for kids with SM to be very chatty at home with family but silent at school. Parents typically start noticing signs of SM when a child is three or four years old. The disorder might not be diagnosed until she is school-aged, when her problems with speaking become more apparent.
for more: https://depressionals.com/selective-mutism/

discussion forum terms & conditions

;