- Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us
Log in Register Forgot password? ×

Can a childminder drive my car?

One of the duties of being a childminder or a nanny may be to drive the kids to school or simply take them out in the car for activities. If you need your childminder or nanny to drive your kids, then you must ensure that they are appropriately insured!

Driving parent’s car

Because a nanny is an employee of the parents, when it comes the motor insurance it is sometimes seen as using the car for ‘business’ use. Some insurance company may or may not insure (say if the nanny was under 25) on certain policies so it is worth contacting your motor insurance to discuss. There are plenty of insurance companies in Ireland that are perfectly happy to have the nanny as a named driver, but some may invalidate your claim if there was a problem and they were not alerted to the proper use of car. If you are unsure, check your policy.

Childminder using their own car

If your childminder is using their own car, it is appropriate to ask them if they are properly insured to drive your kids. The minder may need to check with their own motor insurance policy to see if they are automatically covered to carry minded children in their vehicle. They may have to pay extra on their premium because they are technically using the car for business purposes. Also an insurance company may insist they have Class 2 insurance( using vehicle for business purposes) to cover the service. Discuss these issues with your childminder before you ask her to drive your kids.

Annual childminding insurance such as Childminding Ireland offer motor insurance for childminders that is appropriate for their service.



(21-01-2015 18:31)

If cm available to work, you need to pay. If cm not available for work, you dont pay her as youd need to pay for alternative care.

ALBIN mathew

(21-01-2015 14:55)

Hai,I have an arrangement witha childminder to looking after my two girls 2and a half and 5yr for half day and full day for 100 euro.what about paying her if I am going on holidays and if I don't need her for a week or more ? Do I still to pay her 100 euro a week?or how much in fairness I have to pay ?

Submit a comment

Please respect the terms of use of our discussion boards. Full terms here .
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. When you submit your comment, you'll be sent a link to confirm it.
Name Email