× Home Parents Associations About Us

Scoil An Spioraid Naomh (Boys)

Phone: 021 4543333

My opinion on this school

view general school discussions

** My-opinion-on-this-school-ts-1105060546
05/06/2011 05:46 AM - Feedback-on-this-school
-------------------
I sent my son to SSN for 3yrs, in Jnr infants the teacher suggested there might be something more to his behaviour issues than just being bold, she left the school the problem was ignored and I spent the majority of his time in first class asking the teacher if she was sure there wasn´t something wrong. I was constantly ignored. 3 months into his time in a new school and they figure out something isn´t quite right and after paying for a private OT I was right to be concerned.Pity the teachers at SSN weren´t so concerned

05/06/2011 03:25 PM -
-------------------
mhegarty, I´m glad to see your son was brought to the O.T.. I´m not sure your comments about ´the teachera at SSN´ are entirely fair, however.
Sometimes it is difficult to rush in with all guns blazing and unless something is very apparent and severe, it may be around 2nd class, when there are more demands on children (handwriting, increased homework load etc) that a school may be directing a parent for an assessment. Educational psychologists are also very reluctant to make diagnoses until a child is near the end of 1st class.
Some children are often ´borderline´ cases, where a school may want to give the child the opportunity to improve. To say that the teachers in the school, (which you have named) ´weren´t so concerned´ does not seem entirely fair when we have not heard the story from the point of view of the school. The school, on the other hand, is not in a position to come on a forum like this to defend itself or to discuss various supports that were put in place in the case of individual children. Sadly, some parents can take potshots at schools, knowing that the schools are not at liberty to discuss individual cases and most definitely not on a public forum like this. I hope your son does well in his new school. 

;