Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

1st Break, Lunchtime, and their difficulties.

re... : 1st Break, Lunchtime, and their difficulties.           reply
16/09/2007 16:53 - Childrens Health
-----------------------------------
Our school was told by the cigire that if the children ate indoors, it was part of their break-time, hence teachers now read book out or play music,so it counts as school time, not break time, otherwise there´d be no small break!!!

re : 1st Break, Lunchtime, and their difficulties.           reply
24/10/2011 16:52 - Childrens Health
Hi
My question is what do your children do at lunch if it is wet? What facilities are available? Recently the weather has been so rubbish that the children have been cooped up all day in their classrooms and get home with cabin fever.

re : 1st Break, Lunchtime, and their difficulties.           reply
14/09/2007 21:52 - Childrens Health
Hi. I completely agree. I have had my child off sick all this week and i feel that these new rules are directly to blame! In our school the children have a 10min and a 30min break. They are allowed eat during both of them ,but the new rules mean that they must take their food out into the playground and eat it there.They are no longer allowed to eat in the classroom unless it rains. No one seems to supervise if the food is actually being eaten and as a result of this very little food is actually eaten. Almost every day during their first wk back to school my son came home with a full lunchbox. He obviously prioritised playing instead of eating and drinking. I would also worry that someone will choke on something whilst running around and eating at the same time. Can anyone tell me is it now every school that has this new policy? We had a parent teacher meeting this week and were led to believe that the change in eating policy had come about as a result of an inspector´s visit and that eating time!? was found to be far too long!! My son already has irritable bowel. I find this change outrageous and detrimental to our childrens´ health. Has anyone any ideas as to how to approach this topic with the principal?

1st Break, Lunchtime, and their difficulties.           reply
14/09/2007 20:42 - Childrens Health
Is it possible that in this day and age, what with the emphasis on healthy eating, that 10 minutes out of a 30 minute lunch break is sufficient for a 7 year old to chew and digest her food properly. She has in the past week been told to "stop talking and start eating". As well as a time for eating it ought to be a time for social activities, like talking to their classmates. I find this situation infuriating. I find it hard to believe a Governing Body deem is necessary to deprive school pupils of their proper Healthy Eating Habits, that we Parents are teaching our Children. I would appreciate feedback on this subject. Thankyou

re... : 1st Break, Lunchtime, and their difficulties.           reply
16/09/2007 18:42 - Childrens Health
Hi Marie
what are the ´new rules´ that you refer to - are they specific to your school? I´ve been nagging my kids since they went back to school that they are coming home too often without their lunch eaten but maybe there is some new practice I´m not aware of - the problem didn´t seem to arise last year. Has anyone posting to this thread got to the bottom of this yet?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;