Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Cervical cancer vaccination programme

Cervical cancer vaccination programme           reply
27/08/2010 12:57 - Childrens Health (Locality: Cork)
-----------------------------------
Hi there. Can anyone advise if there is any further info re: the rolling out of this vaccine. Also, has anyone experience of their daughter receiving this vaccination?
Thank you,
Maria

re : Cervical cancer vaccination programme           reply
27/08/2010 13:13 - Childrens Health
my 18 and 14 year old daughters have had the vaccine. I got them done at my gp surgery. They had no problems after the vac. If i had an older girl i would not wait for the dept of health to roll out the vaccine

re... : Cervical cancer vaccination programme           reply
26/10/2010 00:00 - Childrens Health
I would advise older teenage girls to get the vaccine but it´s not as urgent in the case of younger girls. Those with family history ought to be prioritised.

re : Cervical cancer vaccination programme           reply
27/08/2010 14:45 - Childrens Health
I have a 13 yr old daughter who I know will be offered the vaccination prog on her return to school but I am wondering whether it is really necessary to go ahead with the vaccine so young. The vaccine is relatively new and while generally accepted as being safe there are some reported bad reactions. I am thinking of waiting a couple of years till the vaccine is around a little longer and maybe getting it when she is 16. Anybody else thinking along these lines?

30/08/2010 21:07 - Childrens Health
I would get my child vaccinated if it was offered free at school. It will cost you at least 400 euro if you wait and have to get it done at a later date by your GP.

30/08/2010 18:31 - Childrens Health
This vaccine is probably one of the most successful vaccines ever produced to date. You would be mad not to avail of it during the roll out. There is always a certain amount of aprehension when it comes to vaccinating children with new vaccines and of course the usual scare stories which grow legs along the way really does not help anyone who is unsure about their decision.

25/10/2010 22:21 - Childrens Health
I decided to wait. Perhaps I was being a bit too careful but that´s just me.

26/10/2010 12:05 - Childrens Health
I would be inclined to wait.

26/10/2010 08:02 - Childrens Health
We decided in the end not to opt for my 13 yr old daughter to take the vaccine this year. From what I hear from her about 4 girls in a year group of about 80 opted out. When I asked her did she know why the other girls weren´t getting it she said that their parents had told them that they wanted to get the other version of the vaccine not the one offered by the school/national programme.
We do hope to get the vaccine for my daughter at some stage over the next two years once we have satisfied ourselves further that the vaccine is necessary and relatively risk free.

27/08/2010 13:42 - Childrens Health
Hi Megan.
Many thanks for your response. I will contact the school to see if there is any further info. My daughter turned 13 in May.
Regards,
Maria

discussion forum terms & conditions

;