Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Chairperson refusing to sign cheques to draw money

Chairperson refusing to sign cheques to draw money           reply
21/09/2010 12:28 - Parents Associations (Locality: Laois)
-----------------------------------
One of our teachers is leaving, a collection has taken place and parents wish to top this up with money in the PA acccount. This has been done before when teachers have had babies/were leaving so nothing new.

However the Chairperson one of the signatories refuses to go and sign the cheque preventing any money being drawn but can give no good reason for not doing so apart from he would have some antipathy towards this teacher from years go by. What, if anything can be done.

re... : Chairperson refusing to sign cheques to draw money           reply
18/11/2010 18:12 - Parents Associations
I would have thought the Parents´ Association funds were to be spent on activities that would support the school and the children in it. The funds are intended to be administered through the Board of Management.
If there was money to be put towards a gift or presentation for a retiring teacher, who had given long and loyal service to the school, then there should be an independent collection for that purpose, IF that was thought appropriate by the parents. Alternatively, if individual parents felt strongly enough, some of them could give a personal card/gift, or club together for a larger gift. Parents´ Association funds should NOT be used for the purposes mentioned.

re : Chairperson refusing to sign cheques to draw money           reply
22/09/2010 09:45 - Parents Associations
Presumably decisions regarding expenditure are taken by the whole committee, regardless of who the cheque signatory is. If problems have arisen I would suggest you call a meeting of the committee, put the issue to a vote of the committee and then ask the chairperson to carry out the decision. If the chairperson is not willing to act according to the wishes of the committee, he should be removed as chairperson!

Decisions regarding expenditure should also be minuted at meetings so that there is a record of when/why the money was spent and that the committee approved the decision.

re : Chairperson refusing to sign cheques to draw money           reply
16/11/2010 21:16 - Parents Associations
Has it been discussed at a committee meeting? Did the majority of the committee ask for this payment to go through?

To be honest, I´d be on the side of the chairperson. I really don´t think this is an appropriate use of PA funds.

re... : Chairperson refusing to sign cheques to draw money           reply
18/11/2010 18:14 - Parents Associations
Mind you, in these recessionary times, I would imagine that most teachers would be delighted with a card and some kind words from the parents, in recognition of their hard work, rather than a particular gift.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;