Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminder giving mindees same food Everyday

Childminder giving mindees same food Everyday           reply
16/06/2018 23:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Dublin North)
-----------------------------------
Hi,
I’m having a slight issue with our minder. She is paid a full day rate and is expected to give my children a decent lunch and snack of some sort. Recently our kids have been very upset as they are being given just two toasted sandwiches EVERYDAY 😦. No choice is ever given and the minder has told them she had no other food to give them. She has children of her own and gives them different food everyday and does this in front of my children. I’m shocked and annoyed that she is deliberately refusing to offer any other type of lunch. She is paid 60eur per day plus bank hols and hols and the kids have breakfast with me before they are dropped to minders house.
How do I approach this with her in the best way. She gets very defensive if I raise anything with her so I want to avoid any conflict, however I can’t agree with the food situation as it is v unfair. I have been told that she has a separate food press and fruits/yoghurts that are allowed for her children only. She is minding 5 children in total and has 4 of her own. What do other minders do regarding food options?!
Thanks for any advice.

re : Childminder giving mindees same food Everyday           reply
17/06/2018 00:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
A solution could be to offer send your own food for your children (a discount could be looked at)
Personally this would be a deal breaker for me. The home from home environment its not. Luckily your children are able to tell you. There are many horror stories re food quality and quantity in all the different childcare environments.
On an aside that reads like alot of children, there are ratios to be followed for child safety and development....

17/06/2018 14:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Honestly, if she gets defensive in any way I would seek someone else to watch the kids. That is awful, of course she has other food if she parading it in front of your children.
If your children are happy otherwise well then I would suggest sending food along with them in the morning so the childminder can at least prepare the food.
As a childminder myself, all the parents I work for, supply their own food because they want to know exactly what their children are eating.
Sorry, hope that helps.
M

re... : Childminder giving mindees same food Everyday           reply
24/06/2018 19:58 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hello , this Childminder doesn’t sound very nice, I am a childminder and I supply food and am just happy that the children eat their lunch so would give what I know they like and would eat,if she’s treating your children different than to her own that’s not a home from home environment and I’d definitely question her approach to minding other people’s children as it has to be for more than just the money

02/07/2018 23:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
That is so mean. She is not a nice person, she should treat all kids the same and give all kids healthy variety of food. Can you imagine how your kiddies feel 😞
Did u come up with a solution? If she is that mean with food id wonder how she treats them at all. And someone who gets defensive is obviously doing something wrong and knows she is too because she´s on the defence. I would never treat a child like that.

03/07/2018 14:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Buy passports, IDS and DLs((www.scannablepassportandids.com)) ilets,visas

16/07/2018 16:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
A variety of good should be given as I would treat a child in my care as if they were my own. I would not give my own child same thing every day. If you find you are not happy then I would seek alternative minder who will treat your kids right.

26/08/2019 18:45 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Your children should be given a choice try saying it to her otherwise I would look for other childcare.

27/08/2019 10:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi there, as a parent I´m shocked that the minder could behave in such a cold and uncaring manner towards your children. You have every right to be upset and annoyed about it. You mention that she is inclined to be defensive which is not right either. Clearly, this isn´t the first time you have had an issue with her. You have two choices really, stay or go.You could talk to her, express your concerns and hope she listens+changes her ways. However, my own feeling on it is that you won´t really get anywhere. If she had any real decency and respect for your children or you, this would not be happening. I know that this is easier said than done but I think you really need to look at finding a new minder. She has already let you down when you have been decent with her over money, holidays etc. It´s not too much to expect her to show more respect for your children. They deserve better and so do you. There are plenty of decent, kind and caring minders out there. Can take time to find one who ticks all the boxes in terms of what they can offer, what they charge, whst you can afford etc. However, I think it´s well worth a try. Wouldn´t it be a great peace of mind to you knowing that your children were happy and being treated in more of a home from home environment? In the meantime, maybe send your own food with them and ask for a reduction in fees. Best of luck with everything.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;