Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Childminding

Childminding           reply
05/06/2020 13:23 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
Just wondering has everyone paid childminder during pandemic?

re : Childminding           reply
09/06/2020 11:09 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi I’d be interested in parents opinions on paying part or full pay during lockdown as I mind for a school teacher and since March 12th I haven’t been paid anything but she expects me to be available for September , I am very disheartened as iv always been reliable and told I’m so appreciated but in times of uncertainty I was left with no income and she’s on full pay

re... : Childminding           reply
09/06/2020 13:52 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I feel exactly the same, I mind for three different families and not one have offered me any pay since lockdown started, I haven’t been paid since early March and what’s worse I have barely had a txt from two of the families. I feel totally used and disheartened, one of the families has been with me for five years, I’ve gone above and beyond for every family I have worked for. Everything is going to change in September when kids come back to me, they will still be cared for as well as they have been over the years but I won’t be bending over backwards for parents who I feel have had no consideration for me over the past couple of months. Sorry for the rant !

09/06/2020 14:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I totally understand ,the other childminders in my area have been well looked after with full or part pay ,I’m actually thinking of moving on in September but I don’t like letting any one down but I have to stand up for myself

10/06/2020 07:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
The better choice was always to offer a registered service and this has rung so true in this pandemic. The 350e PUP was available on closure.
I know childminders who never stopped working, they couldn´t afford too and because they lost most of their families, took on new families that will leave minute this pandemic deems it safe to go back to Granny/registered service. Some will feel doublely used then. Alot will move to paid employment after this.
I wouldn´t worry re the no contact, everyone is just so busy especially working parents etc, I´m the same myself (although not working). Maybe break the ice and message them?
Contact your CCC and revenue after this, get insurance and avail of the 1k grant (90% funded) every two years, offer a professional service, taking pride in it. Its very rewarding then.
(if any of you are nannies or using a nanny then full pay should have continued as the nanny is an employee and they were the only form of childcare deemed safe to work. Many nannies went to claim PUP and found out the family hadn´t registered them, right mess as court cases will be ahead. Families topped up the PUP then if full pay more than the 350e for nannies not needed).
Reopening is 29th June, depending on how you work things, parents need to pay or you advertise their space. There is huge demand out there for a nanny now but by September the childminder will be in huge demand as small numbers will be what parents want and more affordable if only 1 or 2 siblings.

10/06/2020 08:02 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I totally understand what you’re saying but there are many parents who will not have registered paye minders as they don’t want to pay the money and definitely don’t want to pay for days off bank holidays and school holidays and as I was aware I was termtime only this pandemic is not termtime and teachers were kept on full pay , at the end of the day it’s all about being fair and respectful to the carter of your most precious

10/06/2020 09:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
If no nanny worked for cash the families would have no choice but to register their employee or use a different form of childcare. Its personal choice tbh and so is the fallout now and what happens going forward. The cash childcare sector has been the worst hit as its the worst sector for it. I honestly feel any childminder/nanny working for undeclared cash is totally underselling themselves and always has the worst working conditions. Make the changes needed going forward.

10/06/2020 10:07 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Unfortunately this caring for their most precious children doesn´t wash with me. Everyone is replaceable and sometimes the replacement can be an even better arrangement. The nanny jobs I see online 10-20 girls/mams are applying for them. Teachers and the likes rarely ever, in fact from experience never want to pay for full holidays, it´s very hard pay for a service you don´t need. Teachers are entitled to their full pay because that is their career choice and that´s the way the education sector works. All of us have a choice to be teachers tbh, just retrain. But yes I get you re a bit of niceness is v welcome but it should never be expected.

10/06/2020 10:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I totally understand teachers not paying for school holidays but everyone’s trying to make a living so mutual respect goes a long way , why some people pay n others don’t is a sign if some people appreciate you more than others

discussion forum terms & conditions

;