Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Class Size

re : Class Size           reply
11/09/2006 13:49 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
Hi Annie,
Our school had a post supressed this year because we were just four pupils under the number required to retain all the teachers. As it´s a small school with a teaching principal and it´s sometimes hard to divide numbers absolutely evenly, we´ve ended up with one teacher having 37 pupils of two classes in one classroom.... We´ve all been to rallies about class sizes that had huge support but the message doesn´t seem to be sinking in with the Department or the Minister. I think, sadly, 34 pupils in a class would not be unusual at all.. Let´s all make this an election issue ...

re... : Class Size           reply
11/09/2006 14:12 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Thanks for the reply Mich. I thought 34 was a big class till I heard about your 37 - presume thats at primary level. Hate to think of 37 hormonal teenagers all in the one classroom!

re... : Class Size           reply
17/12/2012 10:20 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I think 34 is really a big class size. With so many students, teachers will not be able to pay attention to each and every student of the class. It is very important that teacher take care of each student and can handle the student accordingly.

Class Size           reply
10/09/2006 11:56 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My daughter is in third class with 34 in the class which to me seems quite large. My son´s school only averages 27 in the class groups. Is 34 students in a class group unusually large or is that still the norm in most schools?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;