Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Gaelscoile or not

re : Gaelscoile or not           reply
06/03/2015 11:22 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
I know plenty of kids who went to all Irish primary and then on to english secondary schools who have had no problem at all. Definitely not an issue to worry about re third level.
I did it with my daughter in reverse, i.e. sent her to english speaking primary and all Irish secondary which was a bit of a leap but worked out fine.
The only issue I´ve really heard raised about the all Irish secondary option is that if the student is intending to go on to do science in third level there is a lot of re-learning to be done as they don´t know the science vocabulary in english!
So if your heart is set on the Irish primary I would be inclined to go with it.

Gaelscoile or not           reply
06/03/2015 01:14 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures (Locality: Dublin North)
-----------------------------------
Hi, i would appreciate your advice. Had my heart set on sending my son to Irish school. Recently a lot of people are saying Im crazy its too hard for the children if they want to go to English speaking secondary school. I dont intend sending him to one but my concern if its difficult at secondary level then will it be very difficult when he starts college to be learning through English. Also how long must he attend gaeltacht for and at what cost?

discussion forum terms & conditions

;