Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Glasheen Boys School - Feeder to what secondary schools

re... : Glasheen Boys School - Feeder to what secondary schools           reply
24/09/2010 09:28 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
-----------------------------------
I saw this posting two days ago but didn´t reply as the answer had already been given by "Orinocoflow". Most of the boys from Glasheen go to Coláiste an Spioraid Naoimh which is Ballineaspaig/Dennehys Cross parish. I always knew that and I understood that there has been a long history and very close association between the two schools.
I thought that there was a moderator on sites like this that would filter wrong information. The posting by "MaryDunne", while sincerely inserted I assume, is not correct at all. As "Goldilocks" stated Glasheen was the first feeder school for Coláiste an Spioraid Naoimh and there are now 8 or 10 feeder schools. Not sure where "MaryDunne" came up with CBS Deerpark as being the destination for Glasheen boys and the assertion about the parish was also wrong. Sometimes people make assumptions but when those assumptions are not correct and placed on a public forum, people can receive incorrect information.

re : Glasheen Boys School - Feeder to what secondary schools           reply
21/09/2010 22:53 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
I´ve heard that Glasheen Boys school was the founding feeder school for Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh way back in the 1960s. Ever since then that´s where most of the boys from Glasheen go. My cousins all went to Glasheen and onto Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh. I know of other Glasheen pupils who went to Pres, Christians and the other presentation school in Turners Cross (not sure of the name of the school).

23/09/2010 22:37 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
One other thing Mary. The two schools you mentioned are not, in fact in the same parish. Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh is in Dennehy´s Cross parish but Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh is actually in Curraheen parish.

re : Glasheen Boys School - Feeder to what secondary schools           reply
23/09/2010 21:43 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh is the feeder for Coláiste an Spioraid Naoimh. Both of these schools are in Bishopstown parish and Coláiste an Spioraid Naoimh prioritises boys from Bishopstown.

The school where Glasheen biys are guaranteed places is Deerpark CBS.

23/09/2010 22:32 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Sorry Mary but orinoco was correct and what you have said is inaccurate and misleading. There are 8 or 10 feeder schools for Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh but the founding feeder school was in fact Glasheen.

I am from the area and my brothers and husband were all in Glasheen. It was the parents from Glasheen who put the pressure on to have a secondary school built in the western suburbs. Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh first opened its doors (on a different site) in 1964 when Scoil an Spioraid Naoimh had not even opened as a school.

Right throughout the last 46 years, the majority of Glasheen pupils have gone to Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh. It´s a common assumption/mistake that because the two schools happen to share ´Spioraid Naoimh´ in their names, that there is a closer link between them and other schools. This is not the case.

All of my neighbours have gone from Glasheen to Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh and continue to do so. I know of other boys who went to Pres, Christians and Colaiste an Chriost Ri. I´m not sure where you got the idea that Glasheen was the feeder school for Deerpark. I´m sure that´s a great school also but I only ever heard of one boy who went there from Glasheen, as he was living near Deerpark.

Glad I saw your post and was able to put this straight. My son is in Glasheen and will be going to Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh also, caqrrying on a very long tradition.

26/09/2010 14:41 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
My son was in Glasheen and he went on to Colaiste an Spioraid Naoimh with all his friends. He was very happy in Glasheen and settled well in CSN also. They are both wonderful schools. His cousin went from Glasheen to Pres and is getting on well too.

Glasheen Boys School - Feeder to what secondary schools           reply
21/09/2010 14:34 - Choosing a School / Application Procedures
Just wondering where Glasheen Boys go to secondary school?
Thanks for help.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;