Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

Grrrrr!!

re : Grrrrr!!           reply
28/01/2014 12:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
your get what you pay for ....pay peanuts get monkeys !

15/05/2014 08:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi Ladies
I am hoping you can offer me some advise. I am going to start looking for a nice lady to mind my children one afternoon per week. The plan will be that my husband will drop my 7 yr old and 4 yr old preschooler to the childminder at 2.45 (after school) and I will pick up at 6.15 at the very latest - 3.5 hours per week. So I am right from reading the posts that a fair rate of pay is €5 per hour per child, so €35 per week and I would be paying for 52 weeks as I currently do in creche. The difficulty I have is that no childminder will be willing to work for this when they are looking for full time hours, so realistically I will need to ask my neighbours/mums from the school to see if they would be interested and don´t want to affend anyone when we start to talk about prices. Is this pricing fair?

11/03/2014 17:56 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I charge 6 euro a day in my house work out the hours and then agree a price. One person came to see me and said well on this day I will be picking up 15 mins early so I wont be paying for that and two mornings I wont be with you at 8 but will be there at 8,45 I told her it does not work that way we agree hour´s and price..saying that if the parent rung and said I need to stay for a extra is that okay I would not charge you have to be fair and child-minding is give and take

re... : Grrrrr!!           reply
29/01/2014 13:08 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i do agree with that.i would though.give a lone parent.the best discount i can.or a couple who are struggling with costs.the same applies to them.

14/05/2014 20:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi Baking Mammy,
It all depends on what you require. Is this term time only? If not what happens when the children are not in playschool/school? Is the childminder to be on call while the children are at playschool/school? Is the school within walking distance of minders home or will they use their car?
I would suggest putting up and advert and see what responses you get, meet the childminder, have a chat and agree a fair rate.
Good luck with your search.

28/01/2014 20:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well said guys. I was used a lot before I put my foot down.Cared for 2 kids, one day the parents announced they couldn´t afford it anymore despite them both working fulltime,cancelled without notice,yet every week the mother was in my sister´s hair&beauty salon getting preened for nights out.Turned out her Mom was minding the kids at 70yrs of age! I could write a book on the experiences of other childminders I know and the stunts parents pull. However I also know that there are minders who are treated fairly and work for nice families. Let´s hope the bad ones stay in the minority! Cheers guys.

28/01/2014 21:32 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
god i dnt think i charge enough listening to u guys. what would u charge for 2yr old and 11mths 10hrs a day?

28/01/2014 22:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well said! Totally agree with Anne on putting everything in writing. Unfortunately lots of parents start taking advantage of you sooner or later and doing things like running 15-20 min late with the evening pick-ups or bringing kids 15-20 min earlier in the morning. Btw since we are talking about fair rates what would you consider a fair rate for minding 2 children under 3 y.o. from 8 am till 6 pm with 3 meals a day provided (breakfast, lunch and dinner)? Also, if one of the kids is attending playschool twice a week should I reduced the daily rate?

10/02/2014 00:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i get paid 5euro and hour to mind a one and half year old in her home but if her mam has a long day from half 8 to half 6 she only pays me 35euro for the day :( i feel this is unfair would i be right in thinking this?? i end up uposet by how little i am appreciated

29/01/2014 09:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
parents think childminding is easy money, what they sometimes do not
see is the fact that this child is a huge responsibility to the minder .
i was once asked to take a child in my car without a car seat because it was
ONLY ROUND THE CORNER ! when i said no the mother was not pleased .
what if i had a crash with that little child also my insurance would
be null and void.
the parents i now have are wonderful ,we work together for the good of
the children and thats is what childminding is about.5euro per hour is not a lot to care for a child .in fact i think its more to mind a dog in kennels .

28/01/2014 22:26 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just read one post 10 hours to mind two kids for 30.00 a day, thats 3.00 euro for 2 kids - 1.50 an hour for one child, are people for real ???

10/02/2014 07:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
you should be on 50 a day.for those hours.

10/05/2014 12:21 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Okay, you ladies seem to be on the ball for the money. I am currently looking a for childminder for my four. It will be 8-3 and in her home. It will not be everyday because my husband is on shift work and is off during the day a good bit. The youngest will be 18 months when the minding starts, and so at home all day, 7 hours. The next one will be in playschool for three hours and will need to be dropped there, 4 hours. The older two are in school, one in infants and one in first, so 1 hour and a bit for the younger lad, and less than an hour for the older lad. All told that´s 13 hours. Is €70 per day a reasonable amount to offer? Or what do you think? I haven´t got anyone yet, but I´m looking for personal recommendations - I just don´t want to over or under pay - I definitely do not want to insult anyone.

15/05/2014 08:55 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i think 35 is a very fair price , its usually 5 for 1 child and 8 for two..

29/01/2014 10:01 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i did see the post offering 30 a day.i understand both sides.but what if a parent is on minimum wage or less. in a lot of cases.say a lone parent.with the likes of that.i would.work out a good deal.say a lone parent is getting 380 a week.working 9 hrs a day.she pays around 60 a day for 2 kids in minders house.thats 300 euro a week.there are some genuine people.who could only afford a certain amount.and then there is the ones who want childcare for basically nothing.

28/01/2014 20:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
HERE HERE.I Agree with you 100%.

28/01/2014 13:00 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
your bang on there.

28/01/2014 22:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I agree. I work from 7.30/8am to 5.30/6 PM, if you want a place in my home where I supply all food and snacks it´s €200 per week. If you want to pick up at 4 or 4.30 then your child is still occupying a valuable space in my home. I get paid for bank hols, I take ten days holidays a year with no pay and children have two weeks holidays at half rate. I have been working as a childminder for almost 3 years and have never missed a day over sickness or taken extra holidays. I´m registered, fully insured and provide a safe, friendly and happy home. I mind great children with great parents and put everything in writing at the outset, therefore, no misunderstanding. Would recommend putting all arrangements in writing. Ann

28/01/2014 22:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
agree with you 100% ive been on the lookout for a childminding job since roughly oct, was taken on then let go a month later because they decided they wanted someone to come into their house and granny would mind her till they got someone, then was to start minding 2 kids and was even given a starting date then got a call week before saying a neighbour was going to do it and the latest is people not replying back to you and as you said some of them want their kids minded for next to nothing. what do these people want from us? they want their children minded but don´t want to pay

15/05/2014 16:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Lucanhelp, thanks for answering - I just put up an ad. I would be looking for someone within walking distance of the school so that there would be no need for any driving. We have had au pairs the past few years and we´re ready to have our house back! We will be needing childminding, on a part time basis, for the next five years (without having a crystal ball, that´s what I estimate!) and I want to be fair, but don´t want to overpay. That was my reason for asking. Discussing money is always slightly awkward and it should be a fair amount for both parties. The minding is the important part, followed by the flexibility (we´ll need someone ten days a month or less) and after that we´ll pay what is right. Such a tough situation looking for someone you trust to mind your children. Thanks for your help x

28/01/2014 15:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I was recently told that I would be paid 60.00 per day, from 7.30 to 5.30 for 2 children 15 mths and 23 mths old, thats 10 hours, works out at 3.00 per hour each for 2 babies, needless to say I turned it down.

07/03/2014 12:21 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Lissc88
You are defo being underpaid. If you working from the childs home u are a Nanny not a Childminder.
A complete misconception of childcare title.
A childminder works from their own home and can charge 5 per child for up to five children
But if you´re working from the childs home you have no other income. You should be paid
Minimum wage. If you have qualifications your wage should be 400-600 per week.
Top end of that scale if you drive.
I think the issue here and with other cases I have read is the misunderstanding of the different job titles.
Pm me if you need any advice, have questions or send me a list of your experience/qualifications and I can send you a list of your options.

21/05/2014 09:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I can´t agree more.
Some people think they are better than you and you´re owned by them and think it´s ok to pay almost nothing!
I was once offered 125 a week for two children for a full week, and both these parents were DOCTORS!!! Hardly struggling.
Cheapness and under appreciation for somebody looking after your children is beyond me at times!
You pay for the service you want!
We are not their chefs or housekeepers.
Childcare is a very under appreciated profession.
Mind you though I was very lucky with some families I worked with and they were the nicest couple, I was lucky to have found them straight out of Uni. They couldn´t have done more for me.
Some of you ladies are right, not everybody is taken advantage , but don´t sell yourself short and stuck around for those who do.
Hahaha sorry for the rant but this has gotten my blood boiling in the last few weeks and I´m glad I have seen here opinions from like minded people.

28/01/2014 10:34 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would have to agree with you. I have 4 children and childcare was always a huge cost for me when I worked full time. I had an au pair for the older two once they were school going, I paid her well and also paid for English classes for her, she stayed with me for two years because she was treated well. When the other two kids came along, I hired a nanny. There was only 13 mths between the younger two, therefore did not feel it appropriate to expect a young au pair to take care of them all.
I know money is tight for everyone and we are all trying to cut costs as much as possible however, if you find a Childminder, Nanny, Au pair who is kind and loving and treats your kids well, treat her well, pay her the going rate, and that includes paying her for holidays. If your kids are in a creche, you pay 52 weeks a year, therefore childminder should receive holiday pay.
Paying a Childminder anything less than minimum wage is really unacceptable.

29/01/2014 11:54 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am a lone parent trying to survive, but would certainly not work for 6.00 per hour to mind two children. Some people take advantage.

Grrrrr!!           reply
28/01/2014 09:37 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I need to ask what is wrong with some parents on this site?? I see parent posts clearly asking whats the cheapest rate possible to get their kids minded while they work.Im sure that when they negotiated their own pay for their job they sought the best deal possible for the best pay they could get,yet they don´t want to spend much paying a childminder to care for their most prized possession, their kids.I know parents want to make it worth their while to work but, seriously looking for a better deal than 5euros per hr for a childminder?! They need to ask themselves would they work for that,or less? I don´t think so. Also parents who meet with childminders,then don´t have the courtesy to get back to them either way.I don´t live in a huge house but I adore children and give them the best of care and attention,surely that´s what matters most for parents,that they can go off to work knowing their child is cared for properly.So, parents have some thought when posting and be as fair as you would like people to be with you.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;