Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How formal should PA meeting be?

re... : How formal should PA meeting be?           reply
25/02/2007 15:57 - Parents Associations
-----------------------------------
Its such a tough situation to be in. Your walking on egg shells to keep certain people happy. Have they forgotten the reason why they joined the parents association!!! Its so frustrating. We all want to help towards making a better future for our children. You do not need the hassle. I really hope this situtation changes for you. Its a demanding job, without adding a referee to your agenda.

08/11/2006 11:41 - Parents Associations
Hi Busy Mum here,
Many thanks to both of you for your reply. I feel that the meetings should be relaxed enough to encourage others to speak up. Its my first time to do anything like this, I feel pressurised to change. I have decided to continue on and be focused on the tasks at hand. I agree the board of management should be formal. We are just Mums who really want to help. Many thanks again.

re : How formal should PA meeting be?           reply
08/11/2006 10:24 - Parents Associations
Hi Busy Mum. There is no need for a PA meeting to be too formal once they are structured and the work is getting done. The formaliites are more appropriate to the Board of Management then to the PA meeting. If PA meetings are too formal and stuffy it will definitely put other parents off getting involved. Don´t apologise for your own style - continue with the relaxed approach - I´ve no doubt the majority of commitee members prefer it.

07/11/2006 23:02 - Parents Associations
Hi Busy Mum
Fair play for taking on the job of Chairperson - it can be a busy and at times political role.! I too am on a parent´s assoc committee. Sounds like you are fairly organised and already have sufficient structure to your meeting. I wouldn´t spend too much time worrying about or trying to please the two sticklers. If the majority of ten are mainly supportive then simply put most items to a vote and the two stickers will be constantly out voted and hopefully will get the message. Another idea would be to assign them a specific role or responsbility and allow them report on it at each meeting - it might distract them from getting bogged down in ridiculous procedural nonsense. Good luck with it all.

How formal should PA meeting be?           reply
07/11/2006 22:44 - Parents Associations
I need some advice. I have just become the Chairperson. I was previously on the commitee. The former chairperson was brilliant, and had a relaxed approach to meetings and we all enjoyed the meetings. This year there is a new commitee. These parents are looking for a very formal approach, with the agenda before the meeting, (which is fine). The parents have experience with meetings in their companies, and i am a just a mum. Can someone tell me just how formal they should be? I do give very structured meetings and I never overlook any situation. Last years meetings where much more enjoyable, and this years... well there is almost a divide in the committee. I feel no matter what I do it will not be enough for two of my members. There is no problems with the other 10 members. I already follow the guide lines in the book from the Npc. Please help!!!!!!!

14/10/2011 23:04 - Parents Associations
Our meetings are informal however we do take minutes and they are typed up filed and e mailed to the members after the meetings. It helps to remind us what is needed to be done every year.

04/02/2007 16:51 - Parents Associations
hi busy mum ,i can really relate to your situation,i feel like piggy in the middle ,being new to our school i took on the the job of chairperson i know now i was mad but we are getting there.my problem is two of our parents fell out and dont talk to each other which might pass in a big school
but we only have 27 families so you can imagine our meetings ,i think they just wait to see what the other says to disagree with it ,it can b so hard to chair a meeting and know exactly whats going to happen i have to do a lot of pussy footing around to get all to agree .i think you should stick to you guns an hold your meetings in a way that you are comfy with .has any one else got this problem
how do you deal with it.
ace

discussion forum terms & conditions

;