Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much per day term-time

How much per day term-time           reply
05/09/2013 18:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Meath)
-----------------------------------
I´m going to be looking for childcare next april when I´ve to return to work, but need to try to work out sooner rather than later what we can afford. I´ll have an 11month old, 4 year old starting pre-school in September, and a 6 year old in junior infants. We´ll need childcare from early (latest 7.30am), until probably 5pm (the earliest I can get home) so a nearly 10 hour day. I´m looking at getting parental leave, so as I can have the kids at home when school is out. Preschool is 9.30-12.30 and school 9-1.40pm. Drop off and pick up´s needed.

I´ve looked at prices here, and it appears to be €10/€12 per hour, this would mean min €100+ a day, which is €500+ a week and about €2,400 a month! Is there a daily rate for 10+ hours rather than paying per hour? Also, are there options to only go term-time, thereby not having to pay for mid-terms, Christmas, summer hols, etc. Are you likely to get a cheaper rate for term-time, as oppose to all year? My job isn´t term-time, but i´d prefer to get parental leave when I can spend time with my kids, rather than having the time off when they´re in school anyway.

re... : How much per day term-time           reply
06/09/2013 10:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Thanks for the replies. I think term-time might just open more childminders available to me, as oppose to a difference in price then.
The crèche that my kids were in would be €100 a day, but that includes mid-terms, food, 11 hour day (if needed), all food and drop off/pick ups, etc. However, while I think it is a brilliant option for us for my younger 2, I personally feel that my 5/6 year old would benefit better from a childminder situation, than a crèche with mostly young kids. But 2.5k a month doesn´t make it worth my while working :-(

06/09/2013 21:23 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am a childminder who only works term time and because this is my own choice I do not charge for mid terms, Christmas and easter holidays. I charge 30.00 per day per child with a 10% discount for siblings. My hours are approx. 8.30 to 4pm. I do school collections and depending on the distance it should be paid as an extra per week. I do have a contract in place where all sick or absent days require payment as I make a commitment for full time day care. On the rare occasion that I need a day off, I do not charge! As a mother and a previous full time worker, I do understand the expense of having children minded, I opted to go to college and get my qualification in childcare and while I don´t want to undersell myself, I feel that I am charging fairly and I am appreciated by the parents of the children that I care for. I hope this helps and good luck with finding childcare.

re : How much per day term-time           reply
06/09/2013 08:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi there.its normally 10 euro an hr.with 3 kids and thats in minders home.in your home.it would be 12 euro.you could ask.for a daily rate.of around 80 euro.no harm in asking.petrol will also have to be covered. if the minder will be doing drop ofs and pick ups.there is no special rate.for term time.its all the same.its the norm.to pay for.sick days taken by you.or the kids.2 weeks holidays should be covered.as well as bank holidays.

06/09/2013 11:32 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
you should try and negotiate.a price that suits both sides.a price that includes petrol.maybe offer 85 a day/1700 a month.and see what happens.the minder.will either say yes or no.make sure .you have your own contract in place.if she does take an offer made by you.get her to sign the contract.and vice versa.

06/09/2013 10:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I childmind term time and didnt charge for bank holidays, non term time. This should I be asked again for term time only childcare would be under serious review. That is alot of holidays to be without pay. I do charge for termtime if child/ren sick/day off etc as Im still available.
The long hours and three children, school runs etc all add up the price of childcare. However I always say there is a fine line between the money one would like to charge and what parent can afford/want to pay. I find the best way to agree on a price is through email or even a phonecall. I made the mistake, due to inexperience, of meeting a parent without having agreed a price, who had the figure of 60% of what I needed to charge to make the job worthwhile. Shock on both sides.
Also price around a few different childminder/their terms and what they are offering, compare with creche etc.

discussion forum terms & conditions

;