Parenting & Education in Ireland

Schooldays.ie - Ireland's Online Resource for Parents & Teachers

Parenting & Education

× Home Parents Associations About Us

How much should I expect to pay

re... : How much should I expect to pay           reply
20/02/2014 21:16 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
-----------------------------------
And do you pay taxes on the money you earn from minding the children?

16/02/2014 14:40 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Ladies I put all the facts out there when I put up my gross and take home pay according to reply from Beer anyone who has three children should now pay 74 euro per day ie 364 per week If I was to have 364 take home pay after expenses and get to spend most of the day at home except for school runs which I may have to do anyway to pick up my own kids it would equate to a gross salary of over sixty five thousand really???? And please put away the halo to suggest that while childminding you don´t have a lunch and are lucky to grap a cup of tea!!!! My childminder leaves both her kids and mine to school after which when its dry she gets our for her 3 mile walk with my baby and when he sleeps for about 90 mins which he does for me at weekends u am sure she has this time to herself or to catchup on housework or to chill she still has an hour to fill before the school run and she is very happy with our arrangement she is more than happy to tell me that there was great drying our that day and that she got all her washing done and put away and got some bakeing done as well . And beer I don´t know what car you are driving that uses 50 euro in petrol just to do the school run, at my calculations you must be driving over 80 km per day in school runs to use that petrol so please stop with the drama and the poor us killed at home all day

16/02/2014 15:18 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Kathy O,id love to know where your getting your calculations of €65000 per yr????nobody said anything about having €364 after expences thats there gross wage and out of that they have to pay their expences.As for the halo id say you have gained plenty of them in your time with your experience of minding your own kids..your childminder leaves both her kids and yours to school so yes she has plenty of time to catch up with housework while their at school but ive small ones here who are teething and just want to be held in my arms some days wont eat wont drink wont sleep,so therefore i dont have a cup of tea than its time to collect preschooler and give lunch to both if both will eat,than its time to do big sch collection.as for my car expence on petrol i do 3 drops to different schools and 3 collections so 6 a day 30 a week.we all no what your calculations are like,and as for the drama well your the one who created it

16/02/2014 13:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Beer, I agree with u 100%, these people expect childminders to work extremely hard for nothing!!
Kathy I would like to say to u, would u work for anything below the minimum wage??? It´s what we are entitled to!! I also believe urself and ur husband had ur children together, so what about taking his wage into consideration! There is not only €100 left after you both pay the childminder!! If you want children and want to work, then stop moaning about paying for ur children to be minded. If you begrudge paying a decent wage for your children to be minded then stay at home and do the hard work urself!!

re : How much should I expect to pay           reply
15/02/2014 13:15 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I only charge when i have the children so if they are in preschool or school i only charge for the one child i have until i collect the others. So it would be 5 euro when I have one then 8 when i have 2 and 10 when i have the 3 of them per hour. I always talk with the parents and try to come to an arrangement that suits them if its full time..... hope this helps

16/02/2014 20:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I dont know about anyone else I can only comment for myself.
Personally I think it becomes messy with the rates changing once a child comes home. I fully comprehend that once a child comes home from school the workload doubles ect, but a set rate per hour is easiest in my opinion.
My situation is as follows:
10 month old baby from 7.30am-5.30
drop 2 children to school from 9-1.40
So i have the young baby for 9ish hours, and then the other two 4ish hours.
I still feel its a lot of responsibility for anyone caring for three under 6.
My rates wont change during summer time when I am with all three kids 9 hours a day 5 days a week.
I would expect around 400+ a week. I dunno if that is mega pricey but for the work I do, I sure feel its well earned.
When there is 2 incomes coming into the family it isnt so bad. Its how I make my earning.
45 hours a week, 9.50/10.00 ph. My family thinks I should charge approx 11/12 ph.
We are not sitting them infront of tv and cooking them junk food.
We are entertaining, dealing with sick babies, tantrums, fighting naps, walking them to and from school, arts and crafts, homework ect. If you want your children well cared for, pay the price.
I can earn 350 working in starbucks ect for a fraction of the work.
Any comments on what Ive said? As i dont know if its just me who feels this.

14/02/2014 15:51 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, normally it´s 5ph for 1 child and 8ph for 2 children in minders home. I would charge 7ph from 8am-3pm then 10ph from 3-5 as there will be 3 children from that time.But everyone is different.

20/02/2014 14:05 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I do not work from home and i do travel, but thank you for your concerned assumptions.

16/02/2014 20:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
so roughly.what do you think is a decent rate of pay for 3 kids.theres so much bickering.but not 1 parent has put up what they think is a decent rate.

20/02/2014 12:58 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well leave your job and work for 6-7 euro an hour and tell me its easy :)))

14/02/2014 19:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
yes sometimes its better to stay at home.
minders are doing a job too, its not their fault you cant afford childcare.
5euro per hour is not a lot to mind a precious child.
chat to your minder see if you can get a rate thats fair for both of you.
best wishes.

21/02/2014 20:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hate going back to this thread again...but couldnt let mammams comment go without highlighting what was insinuated..........something along the lines of...."for the most part minders are stay at home mammys looking to subsidise their income and not qualified professionals......If you want a qualified professional......pay them through the books...in which case you go to a creche and get proper facilities requirements and monitoring"
Im a qualified professional... registered and notified...working from my home. I offer PROPER facilities requirements and monitoring.

15/02/2014 15:31 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Exactly, how can someone justify paying out eg 300 euro per week.
They would have to earn about 600 euro per week( net tax rate for higher rate of tax is about 53%), tax, prsi and usc included to earn that much alone and if they wanted in some fantasy world of theirs to have as much as the childminder on a friday evening they would need to earn double that ie a gross salary of 1200 euro per week, so whats the moral of the story dont employ me if you are earning less than 60 thousand a year, how obnoxious is that.

01/03/2014 04:27 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Do you expect child-minder to feed you´re children on top of that too Kathy?
You would get more for minding dogs than what you are willing to pay in fairness.
The responsibility and costs that comes with minding children is way too high,
School runs, fuel costs, insurance, tax, repairs. Correct and safe play equipment and other safety equipment and protocols must be in place.
Then yearly garda vetting, insurance liability to cover children, yearly paediatric first aid course, manual handling course, non violent crisis intervention course and fetac 5 care skills and children 1st child protection course are now requirements to work with young children. Regulations are getting tighter and for the better to ensure a safer environment and better care for our children.
I believe a person should not bring a truck load of children into the world unless they are able to support their needs and the proper care that they deserve and are entitled to.
70 euro a day to organise you´re life around another persons family and provide a safe and loving environment for them is cheap by todays standards.

19/02/2014 16:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
p.s doodlys, your mobile number is not working! i was trying to respond to your ad!!

15/02/2014 15:30 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just to put things into perspective, first of all I believe If you can`t afford having children don`t have them. I work as a childminder, i get paid roughly 25 euro per day for 10 hours five days a week. I live in a small room in a house share with four other people, the cheapest room i could find was 300e per month(I am unlucky not to have a husband who bought me a house :( plus i need to pay bills,food,travel and maybe just maybe if im lucky and ive managed my funds correctly i can have a little fun at the end of the month with my friends. The idea of owning a car is laughable for me as i have to walk or cycle EVERYWHERE! As for eating, i live off a diet of rice,beans and good old cheap delicous offal(kidneys,liver,hearts) so next time you complain about having only 100e EVERY WEEK! to yourself please don´t whine about it.

19/02/2014 23:42 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Well said Deidon!!
Parents are out to earn their good wage while we get ripped off!!!

14/02/2014 15:19 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I would think 95 a day is very exspensive i don´t know about offaly prices, however in the waterford city area it would be approx 50-60per day maybe extra for petrol depending on how far the pickups are

16/02/2014 21:29 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi beer.i dident you.i just think some parents could put up what they think is a good rate.

23/02/2014 21:03 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Think you took me up wrong there lemrac... I´m not knocking mums that mind, in fact I tend to sway in that direction more than the qualified prof mainly because I think having your own kids gives more knowledge than what you can learn in a classroom... But that´s my personal opinion, what I was trying to convey in my statement is that there are three types of minder, a qualified professional who pays taxes, insurance, etc etc and because of that they charge accordingly... THEN there´s the unqualified mum who minds who does not have the qualification or tax cert, guarda clearance BUT still expect to be paid the same rate as a crèche... Then there´s the mum who thinks.. Well I´m minding my own, I think I could do this and earn a few extra quid... But these minders charge less. The first and last type I´ve no problem with.. It´s the middle type I have an issue with!! That´s what I meant!

23/02/2014 13:24 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi i wonder if you can help me im starting up childminding in my own home how much should i charge each child is it deerer for babies than it is for older kids and is it deerer for weekends thank you

19/02/2014 23:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I agree fully. I watch 3 kids aged 6yrs to 6month and offered 320-350 per wk. Not looking for a lot of moneu however thats very low. 400 is fair.

14/02/2014 16:36 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just to put things in perspective Ladies I am amazed at some of the comments on this site. I work from 9.00am till 5.00pm which is 8 hours per day but as nobody gets paid for their lunch hour I get paid for 7 hours, I leave my children to our minder at 8.20am and I collect them at 5.50pm,
My gross salary is 680.00 per week and I take home 501.00 per week, It costs me 50.00 per week on Petrol and parking just for work which leaves me
451.00 per week I bring my own lunch to work as I cannot afford to buy it there and according to this site I should be paying my childminder 350.00 per week which would leave me working for 100.00 euro per week??????.

13/02/2014 23:01 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
€10 per hour in the minders home? So 95 per day even though one child in preschool for 3 of the hours and another child in school for 6 hours?

16/02/2014 20:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I did doodlys i said €75 per day for those hrs

15/02/2014 23:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Presuming childminder would have to drop the preschooler and the child at school than i would charge you €75 per day €10 from 8am till 9am for all 3 kids€15 for the baby from 9am till 12pm €8 for the baby and preschooler from 12pm till 3pm and €10 from 3 till 5.30 pm for all 3 kids = €25 so breakdown is as follows
8am till 9am €10 3 kids
9am till 12pm baby €15
12pm till 3pm baby and preschooler €24
3pm till 5.30 pm 3 kids €25 giving a total of €74 per day..
Kathy o to put your comments into perspective,you say you earn €680 gross salary thats just over €19 per hr and your take home pay is €501 still €14 per hr and yet you begrudge childminders getting €5 per hr?you say u don´t get paid for your lunch break ?well from a childminders perspective i don´t even get a lunch break as such im lucky to have a cup of tea some days,as for your petrol expenses i would also pay that amount dropping and collecting from playschool and school 5 days a week and not forgetting the wear and tear on our cars while your car sits in a parking spot all day and not to mention the childminder getting soaked day in day out collecting children from preschool/school so before you begrudge again over what you should/shouldn´t be paying have a good think about how tough a childminders week is and if your that unhappy about paying a childminder stay at home and mind your own children

15/02/2014 21:01 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
have to agree with kathy.most people i know.bought their houses together.both paying the mortage.for most people these days.its halfs on ever thing.
when it comes to a weekly pay.parents shouldent be afraid to negotiate a good deal.

16/02/2014 21:33 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i think we be waiting doodlys lol

16/02/2014 19:43 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
It may be madness but you have to remember that 3 children is a lot of responsibility.
I wouldnt work for any less than 10 per hour as I can get 9.00 frying chips somewhere.
I would expect 450 a week maximum and minimum.
Thats just my two cents. If you were to put all 3 in care it would cost a bomb.

20/02/2014 12:22 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
See what I mean ??? Not in the real world

13/02/2014 22:59 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
around 10 euro an hour.

19/02/2014 16:41 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
wow cant believe some of the replies from minders on this thread!!! im a parent and was paying €36 per day (€180 pw) for one child minded from 7:30 to 5:30 im now looking for someone to look after my two children and so far am being quoted €50 per day same hours in either my home or a minders home. i think thats fair! some came back to me with ridiculous rates of 100 per day which i thought was insane! if i want to pay that id put them into a creche!!! my reason for choosing a minder over a creche is that they are that bit cheaper... for the most part minders are stay at home mammys looking to subsidise their income and not qualified professionals. if you want a qualified professional then you pay them through the books and in that case you are looking at between 75 and 100 per day... in which case go to a creche as you will get the proper facilities, requirements and monitoring!! (now since the exposure of creches on telly!!)
hope this helps... and doesnt cause too much controversy!!!

14/02/2014 16:47 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I agree with you kathy, but on the other side of the coin it is hard work minding 3 children all day especially when their not your own you have to be extra careful,kids get some much time off school and when they are sick etc, i have 3 kids and recently took a career break from work for this reason, i could not afford childcare any more i was working for nothing. i think in this case 200 per week for the four days is fair price on both ends

16/02/2014 13:57 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Beer, I agree with u 100%, these people expect childminders to work extremely hard for nothing!!
Kathy I would like to say to u, would u work for anything below the minimum wage??? It´s what we are entitled to!! I also believe urself and ur husband had ur children together, so what about taking his wage into consideration! There is not only €100 left after you both pay the childminder!! If you want children and want to work, then stop moaning about paying for ur children to be minded. If you begrudge paying a decent wage for your children to be minded then stay at home and do the hard work urself!!

How much should I expect to pay           reply
13/02/2014 22:44 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay (Locality: Offaly)
Hi, I am new to this site and am hoping to get some advise. I will be looking for a childminder to mind my children in the minders own home 4 days per week from 8 to 5.30. I have 3 kids, a 14 month old, a 4 year old who is in preschool from 9 to 12 on those 4 days and third child school going from 9 to 3. Can anyone please advise how much I can expect to pay? Many thanks.

17/02/2014 08:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi, getting back to your original post, 345 pw sounds fair, but you can always discuss payment with child minder.

16/02/2014 23:10 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
it would help a lot.

20/02/2014 13:46 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I am sorry but you really don´t seem to be understanding my point I am working for far less than that maybe I was not clear enough. I take Home 501.00 per week I pay my childminder 250.00 per week which means I take home €201.00 per week less my petrol and parking. I have good qualifications after 4 years in college but that is a good wage in the current economy especially after paying PAYE PRSI and USC, so I wish you luck in your quest to earn 10.00 per hour working from home with no travelling expenses, no childcare expenses etc

20/02/2014 12:14 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
In circumstances where it is single parent things are different. However if there is two working parents then 350-400 is acceptable. If you studies for years to become qualified as a child carer ect i thinks fair to be paid for your knowledge. I will not work 45 hours a week for as little as 6-7 euro an hour. And i dont think you would either. If you cant afford it, stay at home. If you cant afford that, have less kids. Life is expensive.

16/02/2014 13:48 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
well said xx

19/02/2014 23:13 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Parents expect top quality care which every child deserves but for a fiver an hour , they wouldn´t except that from their employers so why should us child minders ? If parents moan about paying a fair price to get their most precious little pets minded in return for loving, attentive one to one care well they should stay at home themselves or take a hard look at themselves !! Child minders are being ripped off in a lot of cases and being taken for granted!!

20/02/2014 12:31 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
hi there im on a different username now.the number is 0876029809 if that dosent work just drop a pm

14/02/2014 20:42 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i dont see why the minders and parents. cant come to a decent arrangement that suits both sides.

14/02/2014 16:42 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I agree Kathy, it´s madness!

20/02/2014 14:28 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
"have less kids" ha!!! people have children it happens... my situation is not ideal but it is what it is.. when i had my children i was in a loving relationship with my partner, we owned a house together and both worked... we were in a good position to have children... and work, now im a single mum of two paying a mortgage BY MYSELF and have no choice but to work full time. if i was a certain type of person i would quit my job and sit at home getting my lone parents allowance, my mortgage allowance and every other penny i could get from the government and probably mind a child to make a few extra quid!! but thats not me, i work hard for the money i earn and try to give my children the best i can. and it breaks my heart to leave them everyday and PAY someone to mind them!! i dont begrudge people who are/were in a position to stay at home and look after children i admire anyone who does look after children because it is very hard work!! however i cannot justify paying 400-500 a week for childcare!!

20/02/2014 17:17 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Hi I´m a mum of 4 children I´m a full time stay at home mum and it´s a hard job
I also child mind in our home to earn extra cash ,my husband works full time 6 days a week we have a lot of bills just like everyone else . I love being at home with my children going out to work was never an option because I couldn´t leave my children all day every day with someone else nor could I afford to pay someone else . I can not believe that people want there kids taking care off for little or nothing it´s a full time job €5 an hour per child is nothing most people wouldn´t get out of bed for that . I think people need to understand that f you have children and want to work yet have your children minded you need to pay it´s that simple !!

16/02/2014 20:49 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
sorry doodlys i put up a rate from a childminder

21/02/2014 01:11 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
i am a qualified childcare worker ,i am also registered with the hse,and i also have a tax compliance cert.its not the minders who should be blamed on the cost of childcare
The government needs to help parents out with childcare costs. 1 free year of 3 hours per day is just not enough.
everyone deserves a fair wage .

20/02/2014 12:06 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
I agree with you mammam prices some people on this site are demanding are crazy anywhere between 350-€400 per week being quoted some even saying they wanted 11-€12 per hour. I tried to explain earlier the real situation for us working mums. Out of 680.00 per week I take home €501 per week, I get paid for 35 hours per week but a we don´t get paid for lunch hours we are in the office for 40 hours which equates to 12.50 per hour factor in our travelling time means we are paying for 45 hours care when we are getting paid for 35 hours, unfortunately nobody was interested in hearing our side of the story I was berated by some people on this site.
I think they think we are all earning thousands, not in the real world at all.

15/02/2014 19:38 - How Much Should I Charge or Pay
Just to clarify I was not having a whine it was disbelief I was expressing
I don´t know anybody who has their husband buy them a house we both worked very hard to buy our house and that included us taking on extra jobs at the weekend I do not want to pass comment on your job or circumstances but I do not believe you are living on just 125 euro per week. My original point was that 350 per week is unreasonable

discussion forum terms & conditions

;